Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/08 20:59:35 UTC

[JCS] - proposal on a off-heap plugin for JCS based on DirectMemory

Hi, we discussed on our mailing list about integrating DirectMemory (which
has recently begun incubation [1]) as a JCS off-heap plugin. We find that
this could be more profitable, for us and the community in the whole, than
spending time and effort building DirectMemory as a fully featured cache,
and could let us just focus on off-heap management (our "core business").
This would make JCS+DirectMemory the only open source cache solution with a
off-heap option around (both ehcache and hazelcast off-heap plugins are
paid products).

Are you guys interested in merging efforts on this?

Regards,
    Raffaele

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/directmemory/

Re: [JCS] - proposal on a off-heap plugin for JCS based on DirectMemory

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
2011/11/9 Raffaele P. Guidi <ra...@gmail.com>

> >> I could help with option 1 if we decide to go that route
>
> Thanks, Tanvir, I would also add this is the route I prefer. Other
> opinions?

+1 from me on option 1 as well.
Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [JCS] - proposal on a off-heap plugin for JCS based on DirectMemory

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
Just create a patch, attach it to the jira issue and give a shout on the ml
just to be sure it goes noticed :)

Ciao,

Posted by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.
It depends on what JCS requires to manage. If it handles the key-value
mapping on its own (as I suppose it does) you shouldn't  need to use DM's
CacheService (it would be a waste of memory) which does the same.
CacheService puts KV mapping on top of MemoryStorageService (and some more
things such as the background jobs for eviction that maybe are already
handled by JCS) .

I of course don't know well the internals of JCS so it's just a good guess.

Ciao,
Il giorno 19/nov/2011 00:34, "Mir Tanvir Hossain" <

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mir Tanvir Hossain <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks everyone. It worked.

-Mir

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Raffaele P. Guidi <

Posted by "Raffaele P. Guidi" <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Salut Olivier,

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.