Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Krishna Kalyan <kr...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/22 05:49:26 UTC

[Discuss] GSoC 2018

Hello All,
I was wondering if system-ml community was planning to participate in GSoC
this year. I had a wonderful time last year and learned a lot!.

If we could have a couple of JIRAS for GSoC 2018 it would be great. I am
willing to help out as a mentor/ co-mentor if that is a bottleneck.

[1] GSoC Website (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/)
[2] GSoC Time Line (https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline)
[3] GSoC 2017 JIRA (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYSTEMML-1451)

Regards,
Krishna

Re: [Discuss] GSoC 2018

Posted by Matthias Boehm <mb...@gmail.com>.
yes, that is a good idea and we should leverage this opportunity. I'm
happy to mentor a project as well, specifically on parameter server
architectures for distributed deep learning in SystemML.

Right now we can emulate synchronous parameter servers with parfor, but
there are other architectures like asynchronous, stale-synchronous,
heterogeneity-aware, and decentralized, which we should support as well
in form of a dedicated runtime infrastructure similar to local/remote
parfor. If done right, we should be able to leverage common primitives
in parfor and these parameter servers.

Apart from better support for distributed deep learning, this would
bring us much closer to the goal of a unified framework for large-scale
machine learning as we would be the only framework that supports
data-parallel (distributed ops), task-parallel (parfor), and
model-parallel (parameter server) execution strategies in a single system.

I'll create an epic with sub tasks later this week. The goal would be to
integrate these parameter servers with the underlying data-parallel
framework to have a common runtime for distributed operations and
automatically support all underlying resource schedulers such as YARN,
Mesos, and Kubernetes. Since the project is relatively large, we might
need to split it up into multiple GSoC projects along with multiple mentors.

Regards,
Matthias

Re: [Discuss] GSoC 2018

Posted by Nakul Jindal <na...@gmail.com>.