Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Murray Altheim <m....@open.ac.uk> on 2004/11/02 06:02:49 UTC

Question on showing excerpts

[I'm gathering that the consensus on the PorterStemmer is to deprecate
the existing one in favour of using Snowball, so I've dropped the issue.]

Another questio: the Lucene FAQ includes this question:

  35. How can I show excerpts with the hit results? How about
      highlighting the matched words?
  http://lucene.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi?file=chapter.search&toc=faq#q35

I'm interested in showing excerpts if the amount of effort isn't
enormous, and while I understand that for each document type the
results will be different, what I'm wondering is how to locate the
offsets within each search result that indicate the locations of
each hit within the searched document, so that I won't have to
duplicate Lucene's existing efforts in creating the excerpt.

Where might I find in the Lucene API or code the hooks I need?
Is this information readily available, or is it buried within
the engine or the index?

Sorry if this is obvious -- I couldn't locate it. And thanks
very much for any assistance (and no rush at all...).

Murray

Murray Altheim                    http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK               .

   The Rise of Pseudo Fascism -- David Neiwert
   Part 1: The Morphing of the Conservative Movement
     http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2004_09_19_dneiwert_archive.html#109028353137888956
   Part 2: The Architecture of Fascism
     http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2004_09_26_dneiwert_archive.html#109563628314780505
   Part 3: The Pseudo-Fascist Campaign