Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger Simmons <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/17 11:58:07 UTC

Another way to launch an external program from a servlet?

I need to launch a program from a servlet that the user can interact
with.  I currently use Runtime.exec(), but I haven't found a way to do
it without having to select the "Allow service to interact with
desktop" option in Services.

Is there another way of doing it so that this option doesn't have to
be selected?
The motivation is that when the option is selected, tomcat launches
its console screen which can't be closed without stopping the service.

Thanks

Roger

Re: Another way to launch an external program from a servlet?

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
2 suggestions:
1) Try to exec() only programs that do not require to connect to the
windows desktop (am not sure such program does exist...)
2) If possible, migrate the tomcat to a unix server, there you can spawn
tools (indexers, system backups, whatever) without requiring tomcat to
have access to a graphical terminal.

En l'instant précis du 01/17/07 11:58, Roger Simmons s'exprimait dans
toute sa noblesse: