Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerald Powel <ge...@yahoo.co.uk> on 2003/09/19 02:07:05 UTC

generate WAR

Hi and thanks,

     My IDE is Eclipse. Are there any users of this software on this list who can tell me if Eclipse will build a WAR and how? I have looked at the help section but found nothing related to this subject.

Thanks

J.

WAR stands for Web Archive Resource, it is basically a .jar file containing
all the files of your web-app. If you use an IDE such as NetBeans it is very
easy to create, simple right click the root folder and select Generate WAR,
choose your target location to save the war file to and that is it.

You can then place this .war in your tomcat/webapps folder and the next time
you restart Tomcat it will unpack the .war and create a default context for
your web-app as well as do any initialization you may have specified in your
web.xml

HTH

---------------------------------

Re: generate WAR

Posted by Rhino <rh...@sympatico.ca>.
I'm using Eclipse 2.1.1 on Windows XP Pro and have used it to generate WARs
many times. The catch is that you need to install the Sysdeo plug-in. If you
do that and configure it correctly, you will get a new context menu option
in the Package Explorer when you select your project and right-click: it
will say Tomcat Project and one of its suboptions is "Export to the WAR file
sets in project properties".

The Sysdeo plug-in is available at:
http://www.sysdeo.com/eclipse/tomcatPlugin.html. I found the instructions a
bit weak when I installed V2.1 and sent some suggestions for improvements to
the Sysdeo site but I'm not sure my suggestions were incorporated. If you
have any trouble with installing/configuring Sysdeo, let me know and I'll
send you the instructions I wrote, which are a bit more detailed.

Rhino

>      My IDE is Eclipse. Are there any users of this software on this list
who can tell me if Eclipse will build a WAR and how? I have looked at the
help section but found nothing related to this subject.

> Thanks
>
> J.
>

> WAR stands for Web Archive Resource, it is basically a .jar file
containing
> all the files of your web-app. If you use an IDE such as NetBeans it is
very
> easy to create, simple right click the root folder and select Generate
WAR,
> choose your target location to save the war file to and that is it.
>
> You can then place this .war in your tomcat/webapps folder and the next
time
> you restart Tomcat it will unpack the .war and create a default context
for
> your web-app as well as do any initialization you may have specified in
your
> web.xml
>
> HTH

> Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE
Yahoo!Messenger

Re: generate WAR