Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com> on 2004/03/24 14:00:32 UTC

OJB with Spring

Has anyone successfully implemented OJB with the Spring framework, and
can you tell me if you found that experience excruciatingly painful,
easy, or what ever, and if found the results satisfactory?

I am considering a switch to Spring, but Hibernate is of no interest to
me, and I would much rather not make the switch without OJB.

Thanks

Re: OJB with Spring

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
I have played with OJB and Spring a couple times, but never for a major
app.

Using OJB in Spring is no problem. If you want to use Spring's unified
transaction system, OJB does not presently have hooks directly into it.
I have talked (over a couple beers) with Thomas Risberg, who wrote most
of the JDBC DAO stuff in Spring, about providing an OJB template
(whatever that is) for Spring and the other hooks to make it more
seemless and IoC'd -- just have never had sufficient itch to really do
it. Juergen has indicated that adding OJB support into Spring's distro
would be great, so there is nothing blocking a level of integration
like what iBatis, Hibernate, etc have -- just no one has felt like
doing it yet.

If you want to do integrate it more transparently into Spring I will
happily contribute to that effort, though I don't have the time
required to really spearhead the task right now. I expect that I will
get a lot of nudges next Tuesday when I present (with Thomas Risberg)
on OJB and Spring at a JUG meeting though.

-Brian

Re: OJB with Spring

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Robert S. Sfeir wrote:

> This is based on comparison reading that I've done, not actual use.
> What I don't like is that they use their own SQL language, and I don't
> want to learn yet another SQL language, or I would use JDBC.  Their own
> query language is just a pain too as far as I'm concerned.  as an
> example to do a find:
>
> List mates = sess.find(
>    "select mate from Cat as cat join cat.mate as mate " +
>    "where cat.name = ?",
>    name,
>    Hibernate.STRING
> );
>
> it's almost as much typing as SQL.
>
> Now they've recently added ODMG3 support, and it does make it more
> interesting.

AFAIK Hibernate will no longer support ODMG (I'm not sure, so ask the
Hibernate guys). But they started with an Criteria based Query API
similar to PB-api.

regards,
Armin

Re: OJB with Spring

Posted by "Robert S. Sfeir" <ro...@codepuccino.com>.
Angus Berry wrote:

>I was wondering what you don't like about Hibernate? I have a couple of
>OJB projects, but hear a lot of talk about Hibernate. Someone close to
>Hibernate said that their caching was better.
>
>I don't plan on switch anything, but I'd appreciate any insight from
>folks who know both products.

This is based on comparison reading that I've done, not actual use.
What I don't like is that they use their own SQL language, and I don't
want to learn yet another SQL language, or I would use JDBC.  Their own
query language is just a pain too as far as I'm concerned.  as an
example to do a find:

List mates = sess.find(

Re: OJB with Spring

Posted by Angus Berry <an...@elken.com>.