Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Krishna Reddy <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/22 15:43:04 UTC

Windows authentication with subversion and apache

Hello,
Windows authentication with subversion using SSPI module is working now.
I used the mod_auth_sspi.so module from the TortoiseSVN website.
mod_auth_sspi.so
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mod-auth-sspi/
I had to setup subversion location in apache httpd configuration file..
Location /Rep>
    DAV svn
    SVNParentPath C:/SVN/Rep

    AuthName "Subversion Rep repository"
    AuthType SSPI
    SSPIAuth On
    SSPIAuthoritative On
    SSPIDomain DOMAIN
    SSPIOfferBasic On
    Require valid-user

    AuthzSVNAccessFile C:/SVN//Rep/auth.txt
</Location>
Next, I had to setup subversion access file i.e.., auth.txt
[groups]
access = DOMAIN\USERNAME, username
[/]
@access = rw
Note: use two login names - one with and one without the domain.. Subversion requires the former and the web browser requires the latter.
Thank you.

Re: Windows authentication with subversion and apache

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>.
Sam Munzani wrote:
> Is there such module for FreeBSD? My repository is on FreeBSD however I
> would like to use windows AD auth for the authentication piece.

I guess not (not available on linux -> *nix).

Anyway, you should be able to use the kerberos module (the admin of the
AD should creates
something for you), or 'simply' by using LDAP.

In that case, I suggest to use an AuthnProviderAlias, to be more
flexible (eg. to mix authentication
through the AD server and using local user-password file).

There is plenty of documentation that google can gives you, but I can
give you a small example:

first, you have to find the 'distinguishedName' of the user how will do
the request.
assuming that the user 'guest' (password='guestpass') will do that, and
will have a dist.name like
   'CN=guest,OU=Users,OU=MyComp,DC=server,DC=net',
on the server (machine 'mycomp-dc.net'),

you just have to configure the apache server like that:

<AuthnProviderAlias ldap ldap-dc>
  AuthLDAPBindDN "CN=guest,OU=Users,OU=MyComp,DC=server,DC=net"
  AuthLDAPBindPassword guestpass
  AuthLDAPURL
ldap://mycomp-dc1:389/OU=Users,OU=MyComp,DC=server,DC=net?sAMAccountName?sub?(objectClass=user)
</AuthnProviderAlias>

and use this alias in a normal SVN location:

<Location /svn/projectXYZ>
	DAV svn
	SVNPath ...
	SVNAutoversioning on
	SVNIndexXSLT "/layout/svnindex.xsl"
	AuthzSVNAccessFile ...
	AuthName "MyComp project xyz svn"
	AuthType Basic
	AuthBasicAuthoritative off
	AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
	AuthBasicProvider ldap-dc
	Satisfy Any
	<LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
		Require valid-user
	</LimitExcept>
</Location>

regards,

florian

Re: Windows authentication with subversion and apache

Posted by Sam Munzani <sm...@comcast.net>.
Is there such module for FreeBSD? My repository is on FreeBSD however I
would like to use windows AD auth for the authentication piece.

Thanks,
Sam