Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2016/07/12 11:07:25 UTC

Apache PDFBox July 2016 board report due

Hi,

find attached a quick draft of the board report we're expected to submit this
month. It's based upon the report template which can be found at [1]

Any further comments, objections or additions?

<draft>
  - the Apache PDFBox library is an open source Java tool for working with PDF
documents.

## Issues:
  - there are no issues requiring board attention at this time

## Activity:
  - we are working on fixing bugs in 2.0.x
  - thanks to Shane, PDFBox is now registered as trademark

## Health report:
  - there is a steady stream of contributions, bug reports and questions on the
mailing lists
  - the core team consists of 4 - 5 active developers
  - we are still searching for new blood but due to our small community it isn't
that easy to accomplish

## PMC changes:

  - Currently 16 PMC members.
  - Last PMC addition was John Hewson on Thu Feb 06 2014

## Committer base changes:

  - Currently 16 committers.
  - Last committer addition was John Hewson at Fri Feb 07 2014

## Releases:

  - 1.8.12 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
  - 2.0.1 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
  - 2.0.2 was released on Thu Jun 09 2016

## JIRA activity:

</draft>

BR
Andreas Lehmk�hler

[1] https://reporter.apache.org/?pdfbox

Re: Apache PDFBox July 2016 board report due

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Am 12.07.2016 um 21:59 schrieb Tilman Hausherr:
> Am 12.07.2016 um 13:07 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler:
>> Hi,
>>
>> find attached a quick draft of the board report we're expected to submit this
>> month. It's based upon the report template which can be found at [1]
>>

>> Any further comments, objections or additions?
>>

>> <draft>
>>  - the Apache PDFBox library is an open source Java tool for working with PDF
>> documents.
>>
>> ## Issues:
>>  - there are no issues requiring board attention at this time
>>
>> ## Activity:
>>  - we are working on fixing bugs in 2.0.x
>>  - thanks to Shane, PDFBox is now registered as trademark
>>
>> ## Health report:
>>  - there is a steady stream of contributions, bug reports and questions on the
>> mailing lists
>>  - the core team consists of 4 - 5 active developers
>>  - we are still searching for new blood but due to our small community it
>> isn't that easy to accomplish
>>
>> ## PMC changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 16 PMC members.
>>  - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
>>  - Last PMC addition was John Hewson on Thu Feb 06 2014
>>
>> ## Committer base changes:
>>
>>  - Currently 16 committers.
>>  - No new committers added in the last 3 months
>>  - Last committer addition was John Hewson at Fri Feb 07 2014
>>
>> ## Releases:
>>
>>  - 1.8.12 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
>>  - 2.0.1 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
>>  - 2.0.2 was released on Thu Jun 09 2016
>>
>> ## JIRA activity:
>>
>>  - 103 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
>>  - 87 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months
>
> Didn't we have the number of subscribers to the mailing lists in the past?
Yes, but the board is interested in significant changes only. Our figures are
more or less constant this quarter, so that I omit them:

  - users@pdfbox.apache.org:

  - dev@pdfbox.apache.org:
     - 149 subscribers (down -2 in the last 3 months):

BR
Andreas

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 12.07.2016 um 13:07 schrieb Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> find attached a quick draft of the board report we're expected to submit this
> month. It's based upon the report template which can be found at [1]
>

> Any further comments, objections or additions?
>

> <draft>
> - the Apache PDFBox library is an open source Java tool for working with PDF documents.
>
> ## Issues:
> - there are no issues requiring board attention at this time
>
> ## Activity:
> - we are working on fixing bugs in 2.0.x
> - thanks to Shane, PDFBox is now registered as trademark
>
> ## Health report:
> - there is a steady stream of contributions, bug reports and questions on the mailing lists
> - the core team consists of 4 - 5 active developers
> - we are still searching for new blood but due to our small community it isn't that easy to accomplish

What about the candidates we discussed?

I'd think that for example getting people like Simon Steiner in would be very helpful. I'd also see us getting 'formally' in touch with fop and discussing to share some of the efforts around fonts handling would be fine. E.g. they are using fontbox but have their own handling of OTF for complex script support. So they might not be interested in helping on PDFBox as a whole but fontbox might be a good candidate. Glen Adams I think did most of the complex script stuff.

> ## PMC changes:
>
> - Currently 16 PMC members.
> - No new PMC members added in the last 3 months
> - Last PMC addition was John Hewson on Thu Feb 06 2014
>
> ## Committer base changes:
>
> - Currently 16 committers.
> - No new committers added in the last 3 months
> - Last committer addition was John Hewson at Fri Feb 07 2014
>
> ## Releases:
>
> - 1.8.12 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
> - 2.0.1 was released on Tue Apr 26 2016
> - 2.0.2 was released on Thu Jun 09 2016
>
> ## JIRA activity:
>
> - 103 JIRA tickets created in the last 3 months
> - 87 JIRA tickets closed/resolved in the last 3 months
>
> </draft>
>
> BR
> Andreas Lehmkühler
>
> [1] https://reporter.apache.org/?pdfbox