Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Carlos Ortiz <ca...@covad.net> on 2005/02/04 18:13:24 UTC

RE: Database Related Question - LDAP

Is the first try at the LDAP code complete?  I'd love to try/test it for you
guys.  Just point me.  My production use of jetspeed2 is relying on this.

Thanks,
Carlos.

From: David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>
To: Jetspeed Users List <je...@jakarta.apache.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:07:04 -0800

mike long wrote:
>I think David is saying that you should create implementations of the
>interfaces he references below. I am doing that to allow Jetspeed-2 to use
>an LDAP directory server instead of a relational database. My strategy has
>been to check out the Jetspeed-2 code from CVS and then write my own
>implementations of these classes and wire them in using the
>jetspeed-spring.xml, security.xml, and a couple other configuration files.
>A really good set of unit tests exists for the security components already
>that will tell you if your implementation of those interfaces is correct.

>You will have good assurance that your implementation is correct when all
>the component/security tests work.  The tests should run out of the box
>hooked up to your custom implementations.
>
>Your work will be easier than mine since you are only mapping the
>Jetspeed-2 security tables to your own.   Since LDAP is not generally a
>transactional resource like a relational database, I am having difficulty
>because the existing suite of security tests is hardwired to use SQL
>persistence.  That said, the work for you is still considerable. I would
>suggest reading up on Maven, all the tutorials on JAAS, and then the Spring

>reference manual.  The later will show you how to wire the application
>together using your own security implementations.

I setup a new set of a maven project and basic skeletons for the services
like this in a few minutes (but yes, I ve done it before).

Integration with the unit tests will take more time and thought.

But yes, if you are new to Spring and Maven and J2, its going to take more
time. The lack of docs doesn't help:

http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/spi.html

I still need to review your LDAP code. Sorry I haven't got to that yet.

--
David Sean Taylor
Bluesunrise Software