Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> on 2012/05/09 19:40:13 UTC

[WWW] Some issues translating download/index.html

Hi there,

We know AOO website is not set up to be (easily?) localized, but we've
been doing our best with the guys on the Spanish mailing list to update
the Spanish NL site, mainly translating /adapting the main English site.

I've been trying to translate the download page, you can find it at
http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/es/descargar/index.html
So far I see two (main) issues:

* I had to make a copy of exceptions.css to adapt the cachedimages/*.png
  URLs

* we want the look & feel and the system detection, but not the
  language detection: the user is on the Spanish site, the download must
  be a Spanish package. I hacked this by adding a variable that is set
  on the localized index.html via setLanguage("es"); then this variable
  is used instead of navigator.language. I guess that instead of this,
  the script code could detect if it is invoked from /download/index.html
  or /$LANG/xxx/[.../]index..html
  Is this solvable? Anyone with a better idea?
  The page looks like:
  http://people.apache.org/~arielch/images/www-es-descargar.png
  with this patch applied::
  http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/localize-download-index-html.patch

In a perfect situation, the site should be localizable with PO files,
and no need to hack stuff... but we are far from this situation.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina

Re: [WWW] Some issues translating download/index.html

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:48:18AM +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> Am 05/09/2012 11:50 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> >
> >Hi Marcus,

> >>It's easy to change the URLs in the file to absolute pathes. If you
> >>have no others changes done, then you can include the original CSS
> >>file. No need to have an own one.
> >
> >I know, I was trying to do the translation without touching any file in
> >content/download/, so I copied the css file with the modified URLs; then
> >I realized I also needed to turn off language detection and force "es"
> >language download (which implies modifying some files in
> >content/download, unless some one has a better idea - doable in the
> >short time).
>
> Localization was really no point when the DL scripts were created in
> the old project. Also because every NL community was allowed to do
> their own thing.
>
> The URL is assembled with this line of code:
>
> LINK = getLink( VERSION, MIRROR, SCHEMA );
>
> The getLink() function calls somewhen the getLanguage() function to
> get the ISO code. So, currently no chance to throw in a "es" term.
>
> But from your patch I can see that you have already found a
> solution. I'm no expert but it looks good. But I think it's possible
> to make it more clean and generic for others.
>
> For example, the getLink() function could be extended to accept an
> ISO code to get forced to assemble a download URL for a specific
> language:
>
> LINK = getLink( VERSION, LANGUAGE, MIRROR, SCHEMA );
>
> Then you can include the default CSS (then with the absolute pathes)
> and JS files (the big advantage !), localize the "index.html" and
> just exchange "LANGUAGE" with "es".

I added

/*
 * get link setting link language instead of letting the script detect it
 * depends on getLink( version, mirror, schema ) and setLanguage( lang )
 */
function getLinkWithLang( version, language, mirror, schema ) {
    setLanguage( language );
    return getLink( version, mirror, schema );
}

Note that I cannot get rid of setLanguage( language ) and the variable
NL_LANGUAGE because both getLanguage() and getLanguageISO() try to get
the language from the navigator.

I modified content/download/exceptions.css so that now there is only
need to

* adapt the links in index.html
* set the language when getting the link:
  LINK = getLinkWithLang( VERSION, "es", MIRROR, SCHEMA );
* transalting the text

The patch is at
http://people.apache.org/~arielch/patches/localize-download-index-html-v2.patch

Regards

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Marcus (OOo) <ma...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 05/21/2012 11:04 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:

>>> Well I'm not Ariel but this link looks good! :)
>>>
>>> I'm going to publish it along with a change I have now, OK?

>>>  Marcus --
>>
>> Your last change is now out there...and good work.
>>

> That's fine. I don't think that it make the download worse than before.
>

>  I have just one minor comment now.
>>
>> I switched to Solaris as my user agent...and I get this comment...
>>
>> "A release for English(us-EN) is not available. Please choose from the
>> alternative download webpage for another language."
>>

> Then this applies also to all other not-supported platforms like MacOS
> PPC, iPhone & Co. etc.

Yes. it would. It was just the emphasis on language vs platform that was a
bit strange.  Somehow combining the two kinds of non-existence would be
better I think.

>  Could this wording be made more generic -- so it could be used with both
>> language AND platform exclusions? I haven't looked in detail at your
>> changes, so I don't know under what circumstances this will arise.
>>

> Should be possible. I'll think about it these next days. The DL logic has
> to catch the not-supported platforms *and* languages and present an
> respective text.

OK, no rush. The changes you've already done are great and were badly
needed.

> Marcus

MzK

"The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
                                 -- Mark Twain

Re: [WWW] Some issues translating download/index.html

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
<ar...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 11:46:10PM +0200, Marcus (OOo) wrote:
> > >I'll try to put everything new to the real "/download/index.html"
> tomorrow.
> >
> > The improvements are publish.
>
> I'm getting 404 Not Found with the following links from the main site
> download page:
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/stable/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz/download
>

> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-US/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.asc
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-US/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.md5
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-US/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.sha1
>
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/ooo/files/localized/en-US/3.4.0/Apache_OpenOffice_incubating_3.4.0_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz.sha512
>
> en-US is not in localized, AFAIK.

Ariel --

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05/18/2012 10:54 PM, schrieb Ariel Constenla-Haile:
> Hi Marcus,

>>> I've added this to the Wiki page for improvements.
>>
>> I've finished this work. Now it's working as described above.
>>
>> I would like to commit this but don't want to rubbish your work on
>> the Spanish webpages. So, please tell when we can come together.
>
> it's only one page: /content/es/descargar/index.html
> Simply commit your work, and then I update it (or feel free to modify it
> yourself :) )-

In the meantime I've committed the changes into new files, as I wanted
to use the time for improving more.

Please have a look into
"http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/download/index_aoo.html" and check
if this is working for you in the "es" webpage.

I don't want to trash any downloads, so I would like to ask you to check
first and then update yourself. :-)

Thanks

Marcus

Re: [WWW] Some issues translating download/index.html

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus,

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.