Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by SandeepGummadavelli <sa...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/18 09:52:30 UTC

functional testing on web application with jmeter

I need to functional test on web application with jmeter.
1.I installed jmeter latest version.I am using java 1.6.
2.I set the class path of jmeter.jar

3.iam testing a web application with some simple requests in local
machine.Requests are as follows..
 a)Go to Login
 b)login
 c)Go to masters module
 d)Click add unit link.
 e)Add unit details.
4.For these...
  a)i created a thread group with 1 user,ramp-up period is 0,loop count is 1
  b)i created http request defaults ..enterd localhost and port is 8080.
  c)I added user defined variables which consists parameters as
username,password and unit_name with values admin,passwd and numbers
  d) I created 5 httpRequests listed in point 3
5)
   a)In Go To Login request i added path and parameters username and
password. values as variables specified in user defined variables.
   b)In login request i entered path which will submit login page.
   c)In GotoMasters request i entered path which will redirect to masters
module.
   d)In Click AddUnit request i enterd path which will redirect to Addunit
page and added parameter unit_name and its value.
   e)In AddUnit details request i entered path which will submitted the add
unit details.
6) I added listeners like view results table,graph results,assertion
results.
7) I added HTTP Proxy server to workbench

At last I start run the test plan.
I got all success statuses in view results table.
but details are not added in web application.
Please reply for this request as soon as possible.Iam very thankful if
anybody of you send me reply.

Sandeep G

ThoughtGreen Technologies.

Re: functional testing on web application with jmeter

Posted by SandeepGummadavelli <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mr.Andrey.Thanks for ur reply.
 regards,
Sandeep G

Re: functional testing on web application with jmeter

Posted by Andrey Beznogov <an...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

1) JMeter is designed for load testing. While you could use it for
functional testing, it would be much more convenient to use some other
tool for that.

2) Successful statuses do not mean much without assertions. For
example, you probably forgot to add the HTTP Cookie Manager to your
test plan. In such case, the cookies are not saved, every time you
send a request without cookies your application will most likely think
that you are a new user, and will respond with the login form page on
all your requests. Since the login form page is a perfectly ok
response with response code 200 (OK), all those responses in View
Result Tree are marked as ok.

To see if that is what really happened, check the responses manually.
Click the View Results Tree node in your test plan, and in the right
panel choose the Response Data tab. Select the "Render HTML" option on
the lower part of the right panel. If for all the request you got the
login page in response, add the HTTP Cookie Manager to your test plan
and try to run your test again.

3) You should probably add Response Assertions to your test plan.
Those elements are used to test the response you got, and will mark
the response as failed on test failure. For example, you could add a
check to your "3a. Go to masters module" request to see if the user
name is present in the response.

Regards,
Andrey

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 11:52 AM, SandeepGummadavelli
<sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to functional test on web application with jmeter.
> 1.I installed jmeter latest version.I am using java 1.6.
> 2.I set the class path of jmeter.jar
>
> 3.iam testing a web application with some simple requests in local
> machine.Requests are as follows..
>  a)Go to Login
>  b)login
>  c)Go to masters module
>  d)Click add unit link.
>  e)Add unit details.
> 4.For these...
>  a)i created a thread group with 1 user,ramp-up period is 0,loop count is 1
>  b)i created http request defaults ..enterd localhost and port is 8080.
>  c)I added user defined variables which consists parameters as
> username,password and unit_name with values admin,passwd and numbers
>  d) I created 5 httpRequests listed in point 3
> 5)
>   a)In Go To Login request i added path and parameters username and
> password. values as variables specified in user defined variables.
>   b)In login request i entered path which will submit login page.
>   c)In GotoMasters request i entered path which will redirect to masters
> module.
>   d)In Click AddUnit request i enterd path which will redirect to Addunit
> page and added parameter unit_name and its value.
>   e)In AddUnit details request i entered path which will submitted the add
> unit details.
> 6) I added listeners like view results table,graph results,assertion
> results.
> 7) I added HTTP Proxy server to workbench
>
> At last I start run the test plan.
> I got all success statuses in view results table.
> but details are not added in web application.
> Please reply for this request as soon as possible.Iam very thankful if
> anybody of you send me reply.
>

> Sandeep G
>
> ThoughtGreen Technologies.

diem perdidi