Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net> on 2020/04/15 20:09:02 UTC

Merge Commits?

Hi,

recently there were several merge commits (especially for merged pull
request).

I thought the consensus was to avoid merge commits to keep the git
history as clean as possible.

Should we keep this policy?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Pascal

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 for avoiding merge commits in favour of linear history. While
undocumented, I learned it on the job by reading the commit history which
is mostly linear except developing big feature branches like the major
upgrade. Of course, it would be better if the policy is documented clearly
somewhere.

A couple points that support linear commit history:
* Camel accepts many community contributions via GitHub pull reqs. Not
rebasing them would add non-necessary merge-point commits in the history
and make it lengthier.
* We have many regular committers who work in parallel. Allowing merges
would make the history messy and hard to trace changes for troubleshooting
and learning from history.

--
Tadayoshi Sato

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com>.
Sorry I wasn't aware of such thing, do we have some guidelines regarding
this? I don't recall I came through this. Perhaps, we can add a page of
guidelines and tips for committers to follow? I think Camel has grown and
with it the amount of committers have grown which is a good thing of course.

Regards,
Omar

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Alex Dettinger <al...@gmail.com>.
+1 :)

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Pascal Schumacher <pa...@gmx.net>.
Thank you very much!

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com>.
Thanks Andrea!

Re: Merge Commits?

Posted by Zoran Regvart <zo...@regvart.com>.
Hi Cameleers,
I recently became aware of the `.asf.yaml` file that we can use to
tweak these settings, so in case someone else also missed it here is
the documentation:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories

zoran

<an...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Andrea Cosentino
> ----------------------------------
> Apache Camel PMC Chair
> Apache Karaf Committer
> Apache Servicemix PMC Member
> Email: ancosen1985@yahoo.com
> Twitter: @oscerd2
> Github: oscerd
>

> On Thursday, April 16, 2020, 06:07:18 PM GMT+2, David Jencks <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Thanks!
> David Jencks
>
> > On Apr 16, 2020, at 8:56 AM, Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > This is something only INFRA could setup.
> >
> > I think it's not something critical, I'll raise an issue to INFRA anyway.
> >
> > Il giorno gio 16 apr 2020 alle ore 17:54 David Jencks <
> > david.a.jencks@gmail.com> ha scritto:
> >
> >> Lets not let this drop on the floor and get forgotten…
> >>
> >> The instructions for enabling and requiring rebase-and-merge for PRs are
> >> here:
> >> https://help.github.com/en/github/administering-a-repository/configuring-commit-rebasing-for-pull-requests
> >>
> >> I don’t appear to have the permissions to set this up…. who does?
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if there are equivalent options/settings for the apache
> >> git repo?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> David Jencks

> >> For instance some of mine recently have consisted of a few lines change of
> >> generation code and hundreds of files changed as a result.  It’s much
> >> clearer if those are two separate commits.  Also, my impression is that the
> >> project settings have the GitHub button be just “merge” without squash.

> >> that master will have progressed since my push.  So I think the project
> >> rebase and push setting will be a real help.

> >> linear.

--
Zoran Regvart

Re: Merge Commits?