Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> on 2004/01/02 13:18:19 UTC

pagePattern

I was setting up a working test for pagePattern in an application that doesn't use module (the Mailreader Example). It doesn't seem to recognize a pattern like "/pages$M$P" where it the same application it does recognize a forwardPattern like "/do$M$P".

I think I see where the problem might be, but I really need a baseline modules application to proceed.

We broke the "register" portion of MailReader out to demonstrate multiple configs and then wildcard actions. I'm thinking we (meaning I) should finish the job and make the "register" portion a separate module. Thoughts?  Objections? Alternatives?

-Ted.

Re: pagePattern

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
The work on the "examples" application is going well. I combined them and setup a master welcome page. I just need to replace some straight-links between pages with actions, so that the module information carries forward. Should have something to check-in tonight. Then we'll have a base line against which we can prove and swat the module bugs and oversights.

-Ted.

Re: pagePattern

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 06:49:42 -0800 (PST), David Graham wrote:
> We should discuss LocaleAction in its own thread.  I'm not
> necessarily opposed to putting it in the standard actions package
> but I'd like to have an explanation, use cases and design review
> before we add it.

We can just dodge that bullet for now. We can move it in a "shared" or "toolkit" package for the combined examples application for this release, improve it there, and decide later.

I did some initial work on the combined examples application, and it looks quite good.

This would replace taglib-exercise, validator, and upload. Leaving blank, mailreader, and tiles-documentation as separate applications. So, we'd go from six bundled applications to four. Some progress, at least :)

 -Ted.

Re: pagePattern

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey, here's an alternative:
>
> How about combining the exercise-taglib, validator, and upload
> applications in to single application three modules?
>
> That way we can avoid unnecessary complications to the MailReader,
> eliminate two redundant sets of JARs, share the LocaleAction without
> making it a standard Action, and have a shared module example to tinker
> with.

+1
While it is nice to have logically separate apps, the benefits of
combining them are compelling.  The combined app should probably have a
start page with links to the 3 different modules for clarity.

> I still think we need a stock LocaleAction, but that could also be made
> part of a separate distribution with some other goodies that many people
> find helpful but might not be suitable for the actions package.

We should discuss LocaleAction in its own thread.  I'm not necessarily
opposed to putting it in the standard actions package but I'd like to have
an explanation, use cases and design review before we add it.

David

Re: Using Tiles With Message Resource Bundles

Posted by Rajan Gupta <rg...@yahoo.com>.
Sorry, this was not meant for struts-dev.

Posted by Rajan Gupta <rg...@yahoo.com>.
I want customize the text inside a tile using Message Resources. e.g.
<tiles:insert page="My.jsp" flush="true">
  <tiles:put name="mylabel" value="<bean:message key="welcome.title"/>
</tiles:insert>

Obviously, the above usage of bean:message is illegal. What is the option
with tiles. How can we specify a reference to a key in resource bundles to

Re: pagePattern

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Hey, here's an alternative:

Re: Example of UML Diagram

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
This is really a question better suited for the USER list, where there are more people to help you. Any UML we had here, would already be part of the distribution :)

Though, the problem is that Struts doesn't do the saving. It just collects the date you would need to do the save, and then hands off to a business class. You don't "save" in Struts, you just collect data.

-Ted.

Example of UML Diagram

Re: pagePattern

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.