Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bc...@virtc.com> on 2003/08/19 16:39:22 UTC

Yet another nenwbie question

Hi. I'm an old-time CVS user who's just stumbled into subversion. LOVE
IT! Except for one newbie gotcha I hope someone can help with.

I've read the "BOOK" but it seems to skip that crucial step between
installing subversion binaries and getting the first project imported
successfully into it.

I'm at work now and don't have the precise commands I tried before me,
but here's roughtly where I stalled (from memory)

	svnadmin create /opt/svn # /opt is writable by me BTW
	svn import MyProject file:///opt/svn/MyProject

I got an error saying MyProject is a bad URL. From the archive I gather
that I'm missing the step that explains how to configure svn to use
other than the default settings. I know its in the expert's HOWTO
somewhere but that's not what I need as a newbie.

I think what I need is to eliminate the requirement to type file:mumble
on every command, and of course fix whatever's causing that bad url. For
now I'll have only one repository and no interest in umpteen ways of
doing whatever; just a recipe for doing it *RIGHT*.

Hopefully the right way involes svnserver (or apache), not file:
arguments on every command.

Re: Yet another nenwbie question

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
At 1:50 PM -0400 8/19/03, Brad Cox, Ph.D. wrote:

>svn import MyStuff file:///opt/svn/MyStuff
>E233: cannot open display
>svn: Bad URL passed to RA layer
>svn: Unrecognized URL scheme: "MyStuff"

Ah.  I think that means "you've been reading the documentation for a
recent version of Subversion, but you're actually using an older
one."  The syntax to "svn import" was changed recently (I don't
recall when "recently" was, somewhere since 0.23, I think).  Used to
be "svn import URL [path ...]", which seems to be what your svn is
expecting.  Nowadays, it's "svn import [path] URL...", which is what
you're typing.

I don't see anywhere in the thread where you've told us what version
of Subversion you're using (svn --version, as you might suppose).  I
dare to suspect it's "old."  You really want to be using "new".
--
-==-
Jack Repenning

Re: Yet another nenwbie question

Posted by "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bc...@virtc.com>.
On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 13:13, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bc...@virtc.com> writes:
> >
> > 	svnadmin create /opt/svn # /opt is writable by me BTW
> > 	svn import MyProject file:///opt/svn/MyProject
> >
> > I got an error saying MyProject is a bad URL.
>
> It's hard to give you an answer when we don't have a precise error
> from you

svn import MyStuff file:///opt/svn/MyStuff
E233: cannot open display
svn: Bad URL passed to RA layer
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme: "MyStuff"
svn: Your commit message was left in a temporary file:
svn:    'svn-commit.tmp'

>Do you not have file:/// support compiled into your client?  Run 'svn
> --version', and see if 'ra_local' is a module you have.

svn --version
The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
protocol.
  - handles 'http' schema
  - handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
  - handles 'svn' schema

> Subversion doesn't make you type URLs for every command -- only for
> initial checkouts.  You're making an incorrect assumption.  :-)

Newbies are prone to that. But how do I get out of the weeds?

Re: Yet another nenwbie question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.