Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> on 2003/12/01 04:41:28 UTC

Re: Logo

> Because the data model for a Directory Server *is* a tree, so refering to
> the Tree of Knowledge is nice imagery, particularly when we use JNDI
> capabilities of the Directory Server to federate multiple data domains.  I
> wasn't making any particular religious reference.

But the "tree of knowledge" *is* a religious reference ;-)

I understand and agree with the point that at least in terms of
addressing, ldap is tree-oriented, so some sort of tree symbol makes
sense. I just don't particularly like the religious undertones or the
"predetermined, written-in-stone" connotation of the tree of knowledge,
though.  Dynamic config! Dynamic identities! Dynamic schema! These things
are hard, but I am sure that Eve will find a way.  Maybe I am more
thinking in terms of the tree after Eve started to have at it :-)

Slightly more seriously, I also see ldap directories as much more general
than just "config or identity knowledge stores."  It might also be nice to
capture some of Eve's embeddability in the logo -- i.e., part of what Eve
is enabling is lots of distributed trees instead of one great big central
"definitive source."

Phil

RE: Logo

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
> Slightly more seriously, I also see ldap directories as much more general
> than just "config or identity knowledge stores."  It might also be nice to
> capture some of Eve's embeddability in the logo -- i.e., part of what Eve
> is enabling is lots of distributed trees instead of one great big central
> "definitive source."

I would agree with you whole heartedly its like a forrest
of trees in fact.  Actually that triangle fractal does make a good
point about a bunch of trees making a bigger tree and so on
recursively.

Now with regard to Aspen it sounds like a good runner up
but I'm still going to stick to Eve.  That's the name
we have been using for over 7 months now for this new
architecture.  However I don't mind using the aspen tree
system as a logo instead of a name.

I'm still a +1 on Eve with Aspen (even though I like it) on
the menu.

Alex

RE: Logo

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > Huh?  From where did you get the idea that the Tree of Knowledge implies
any
> > sort of pre-determined, written-in-stone, anything?

> The Christian scholastic tradition started by Thomas Acquinas and
> continuing through the Rationalists, e.g. DesCartes:

> Sorry to be culturally myopic...

Replied off-list.

>>>part of what Eve is enabling is lots of distributed trees
>>>instead of one great big central "definitive source."
>
> > Yes ... and one of the interesting ideas that just popped into mind is
the
> > Aspen tree.  Aspen would be an interesting name, too.   Why?  An entire
> > Aspen grove is actually one tree.

> Yeah.  This is good.  That's like the Sierpinski triangle, though using
> trees, which is better.

Apache Aspen ... Aggregated Scalable Pipelined Extensible Networks  ;-)

	--- Noel

Re: Logo

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>But the "tree of knowledge" *is* a religious reference ;-)
>

> It exists in many cultural myths.

OK...

>>I just don't particularly like the religious undertones or the
>>"predetermined, written-in-stone" connotation of the tree of
>>knowledge, though.
>

> Huh?  From where did you get the idea that the Tree of Knowledge implies any
> sort of pre-determined, written-in-stone, anything?

The Christian scholastic tradition started by Thomas Acquinas and
continuing through the Rationalists, e.g. DesCartes:

http://www.rep.routledge.com/article/DA026SECT2

The Thomist use of this metaphor was heavy on absolutism (going back to
Plato and Aristotle). That is what I was referring to.

Sorry to be culturally myopic...

>>Dynamic config! Dynamic identities! Dynamic schema!
>

> Trees grow.  Their structure changes dynamically.  They can be pruned and
> manipulated.
>

>>part of what Eve is enabling is lots of distributed trees
>>instead of one great big central "definitive source."
>

> Yes ... and one of the interesting ideas that just popped into mind is the
> Aspen tree.  Aspen would be an interesting name, too.   Why?  An entire
> Aspen grove is actually one tree.

Yeah.  This is good.  That's like the Sierpinski triangle, though using
trees, which is better.

> ref: http://members.tripod.com/~bbowles/aspentrees.html

Beautiful shot...

RE: Logo