Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2001/09/11 12:44:34 UTC

Hypersonic / Tomcat

Folks,

Hypersonic SQL - progress
===================

I have got a provisional agreement from the hypersonic SQL crowd to have
some changes made to their jar so that, through a factory, it could be
instantaited and allow a third party socket manager to hand it Socket
connections (and implicitly do thread pooling too).

Essentailly the proposed API was :

    interface HypersonicSocketRequestHandler {
       public void handleConnection( final Socket socket );
    }

    class HyperSonicServerFactory {
      HypersonicSocketRequestHandler createHypersonicServer(String
    dbFilePath, boolean debugMessages);
    }

It mean that they could still lanuch HSQL via main(String[] args)
<spit>, but we could wrap it as a block and all the usual niceties (I
have it working on my machine, but not booked in anywhere).

Tomcat
=======

The reason for this posting.... coud we (I) make an approach to the
Tomcat team to see if they could make some adaptations to their
instantiation logic along similar lines.  Tomcat could be dual mode - 1)
mainable <spit> as present and 2) component lanchable in a shared VM.

As I see it, we need :

1) An interface "Tomcat" that had a method :
    void handleConnection(final Socket socket );

2) A factory through which to instantiate a "Tomcat" (taking parameters
that were usually passed in the command line).  We'd have those same
params in config.xml.  Parameters might include, not just the serving
port, but the incoming (?) connectors it has like "Ajp12" etc.

Thoughts ?

Clearly this has a relationship with ideas from yesterday about a
modelled set of interfaces for regular services.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Hypersonic / Tomcat

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 20:44, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Hypersonic SQL - progress
> ===================
>
> I have got a provisional agreement from the hypersonic SQL crowd to have
> some changes made to their jar so that, through a factory, it could be
> instantaited and allow a third party socket manager to hand it Socket
> connections (and implicitly do thread pooling too).
>
> Essentailly the proposed API was :
>
>     interface HypersonicSocketRequestHandler {
>        public void handleConnection( final Socket socket );
>     }
>
>     class HyperSonicServerFactory {
>       HypersonicSocketRequestHandler createHypersonicServer(String
>     dbFilePath, boolean debugMessages);
>     }
>
> It mean that they could still lanuch HSQL via main(String[] args)
> <spit>, but we could wrap it as a block and all the usual niceties (I
> have it working on my machine, but not booked in anywhere).

cool !

> Tomcat
> =======
>
> The reason for this posting.... coud we (I) make an approach to the
> Tomcat team to see if they could make some adaptations to their
> instantiation logic along similar lines.  Tomcat could be dual mode - 1)
> mainable <spit> as present and 2) component lanchable in a shared VM.
>
> As I see it, we need :
>
> 1) An interface "Tomcat" that had a method :
>     void handleConnection(final Socket socket );

Would it be better to just extend something like

org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector and make it directly use
Avalon services???

> 2) A factory through which to instantiate a "Tomcat" (taking parameters
> that were usually passed in the command line).  We'd have those same
> params in config.xml.  Parameters might include, not just the serving
> port, but the incoming (?) connectors it has like "Ajp12" etc.

The "right" way to do it is to look at

org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina

and rewrite it using config values from avalons config system. This may be a
bit of work though ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete