Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com> on 2003/10/31 01:27:11 UTC

Jetspeed 1.4 release available for download

The Jakarta Jetspeed development team has released the latest version
of the Jetspeed Portal Server, version 1.4 Final Release.

* New Features *

	- Search service refactored with pluggable document handlers
	- Parameter style jsp tag
	- Logging converted from Turbine to Commons + log file viewer portlet.
Contributed by Harald Ommang
	- Improved portlet skinning capabilities. Contributed by Aurelien Pernoud
	- WebClippingPortlet. Contributed by Marco Mari
	- MyPages functionality
	- Java applet portlet
	- BASICAuthIFrame portlet. Contributed by Jacob Kjome
	- Implemented portlet icon functionality
	- Polish language resource bundle

* Bug Fixes *

	- See FIXES.html (included in jetspeed-1.4-src.zip) for a full list of
fixes in this release. There were over 90
	Bugzilla issues (fixes, enhancements, patches, donations) resolved in this
release. This file may also be
	viewed directly from CVS:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/jakarta-jetspeed/FIXES.html?rev
=1.2&content-type=text/plain

Please note that there is no direct link to release files. Instead, choose a
link below and
then select one of the mirror sites to download from:

Binaries: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
Source Code: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi

Best regards,

Mark Orciuch - morciuch@apache.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/jetspeed/

Re: Jetspeed 1.4 release available for download

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news.html#20031031.1

Congratulations,

Also, I fixed the sourceindex.cgi and binindex.cgi.
Please confirm:
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/sourceindex.cgi

(That weirdness was due to someone's *direct* edit
to the minotaur machine. Please use
"jakarta-site" CVS module first and commit. Then, you
committers can login to minotaur and "cvs update"
at /www/jakarta.apache.org/ in order to sync to CVS)

Anyways,

Congratulations, Team! :-)

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 07:45:52 -0600
(Subject: Re: Jetspeed 1.4 release available for download)

Posted by Brian Glas <br...@fedex.com>.

Posted by Todd Kuebler <tk...@cisco.com>.
I don't know what is recommended, but I can tell you what I do.

What I do is cvs export the version of jetspeed I'm interested in upgrading
to from cvs.  I then do an cvs import into my jetspeed directory and
manually resolve the differences.  This lets me review all the changes
between the versions and get a good idea of what has changed, etc.  Then I
compile the jetspeed to create the binary and then copy that into my portal
project.  I then do an cvs export/import of the webapp directory to pick up
all the templates, etc, again, manual merge to see changes explicitly.

You can get a good idea of how this works in the CVS manual under the
section 'Tracking third party sources'.

Another thing I've started to do is compile the torque adapater classes
separately for oracle, hypersonic, and mysql,  removing them from the
jetspeed jar and creating separate jars for them. (torque-hypersonic.jar,
torque-oracle.jar, torque-msql.jar).  The reason I do this is that I do
laptop development using mysql, and deploy onto a oracle database.  Also
some members of my team use the hypersonic db during laptop
development.  Since the torque adapters are separate from the jetspeed.jar
after this process I don't have to recompile things for the new adapters
evertime I switch databases.  I just have to put the appropriate torque jar
into the classpath and remove the others (I just rename them
torque-*.jar.notused).

I would like to see jetspeed include some mechanism to allow easier db
switching like this in the future, maybe it could just check the
torque.properties file and load the right jar depending on what is configured?

-tk

Problems using two "step inheritance" in portlet configuration

Posted by Grischa Brockhaus <ja...@grischa.de>.
Hello.

I have upgraded from jetspeed 1.4-b4 to the final release today, but the
problem below was already there in the beta release.

In my local-portlets.xreg I have the following situation:

<registry>
    <!-- Template for small rss portlets without channel description but
with links in new browser -->
    <portlet-entry name="SMALLRSS" hidden="false" type="ref"
parent="RSS" application="false">
        <parameter name="openinpopup" value="true" hidden="false"/>
        <parameter name="showtitle" value="false" hidden="false"/>
    </portlet-entry>

    <!-- Tagesschau RSS -->
    <portlet-entry name="Tagesschau" hidden="false" type="ref"
parent="SMALLRSS" application="false">
        <url>http://www3.tagesschau.de/xml/tagesschau-meldungen/</url>
        <category>news</category>
            <title>Tagesschau Newsfeed</title>
            <description>Tagesschau Newsfeed</description>
    </portlet-entry>

</registry>

I want to define my own default parameter changes to the RSS portlet in
the SMALLRSS portlet configuration. But not all parameters are inherited
this way to the Tagesschau portlet. I.e. the Tagesschau portlet is not
shown in the rss  category. I have to copy and paste

<category>rss</category>

from the RSS portlet configuration to the SMALLRSS portlet
configuration. Is this a bug or a misunderstanding on my site?

RE: Jetspeed 1.4 release available for download

Posted by Carlos Orrego <or...@inflexa.com>.

Posted by Todd Kuebler <tk...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Todd Kuebler <tk...@cisco.com>.