Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org> on 2012/05/10 03:34:02 UTC

Flex Status

I have reviewed the flex report and community and didn't find any major issues.  The small things I found are:

1) The report appears to be written by a single person

2) This person appears to be disheartened a bit ("We expect the initial RC's to be rejected as we finalize licensing and other policy issues").  I don't think the negativity belongs in the report.  This isn't a big problem unless it is representative of the general community's state of mind, which I saw no evidence of in my short scan of the mail list.

3) No mentors have signed off on the report

4) The mail list has been decreasing steadily since the beginning, but still well within normal levels IMO

RE: Flex Status

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

+1

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 10, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

> [...]

Not worried. It's just that the relative drop off is not due to waiting for JIRA. Adobe just added another donation and now work on an RC is proceeding. May will certainly exceed April in ML volume. Some day I'll write about the differences between AOO and Flex as large incubating projects, the contrasts are amazing.

Regards,
Dave

RE: Flex Status

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On May 9, 2012, at 7:12 PM, Greg Reddin wrote:

> Actually we discovered after this draft report had been written that we are not supposed to report this month. It should probably be removed from the incubator report.
>
> I would not classify the attitude about the RC as negativity. The project is complex with a long history and I imagine it will take a few tries to get an acceptable release candidate.

They are concerned about getting all of their JIRA imported and have stumbled on some issues. At the same time Adobe legal is reviewing each part and releasing in pieces. Since this report was written the test suite has come in.

I think we'll be able to persuade the PPMC that they don't really want to manage their own JIRA instance once that is done. So, they have a little infra delay.

Interestingly, today someone on the OpenOffice dev ML was pointing to Flex's logo contest as a good idea for AOO.

I'll certainly try to suggest another report author when report time truly arrives. I agree with Greg that we should remove this report.

Regards,
Dave

Re: Flex Status

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@gmail.com>.