Posted to dev@kudu.apache.org by Todd Lipcon <to...@apache.org> on 2018/01/09 19:59:07 UTC

January Board report draft

Our board report is due tomorrow. Here's a draft. I'll operate on lazy
consensus -- let me know if you want any changes, otherwise will post as is.

Apache Kudu is a distributed columnar storage engine built for the Apache
Hadoop ecosystem.

## Issues:

No issues requiring the board's attention at this time.

## Activity:

Since the last report, we've made one minor release (1.6.0).

The 1.6.0 release focused on bug fixes, stability, and performance.
Notably, Kudu can now handle gracefully handle failures of local disk
drives without crashing the process.

Work over the holiday period has been a bit slower, but we continue
to make progress around similar goals of stability and easier operations
for our next release.

## Health report:

- Subscriptions to the user mailing list are up slightly over last quarter.
  In the previous quarter we noted that mailing list traffic was
significantly
  down, but in this quarter it has doubled back to previous levels.
  It appears that the quiet couple of months was not indicative of any
  trend.

- Website traffic is slightly up (unique users up 4.4%, sessions up 8.6%).
  This is within our normal quarterly fluctuation.

- Development activity as measured by code reviews and JIRA traffic is down
  a bit from the previous quarter, probably due to the holiday season.

- This quarter (Oct-Dec), we committed code authored by 17 distinct
  contributors, of whom 3 were new to the project. We added three new
  committers and PMC members.

- Collaboration continues with the Apache Impala project around our shared
  RPC library code. This has been beneficial to both projects.

## PMC/Committer changes:

 - Currently 19 PMC members and committers (all committers are PMC)
 - Last committer/PMC additions:
 -- Andrew Wong was added as a committer and PMC on Mon Oct 30 2017
 -- Grant Henke was added as a committer and PMC on Fri Oct 27 2017
 -- Hao Hao was added as a committer and PMC on Wed Dec 13 2017

## Releases:

 - Apache Kudu 1.6.0 was released on December 6th, 2017.

Re: January Board report draft

Posted by Misty Stanley-Jones <mi...@apache.org>.
Edit: "can now handle gracefully handle failures of local disk" lots of
handling going on.