Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> on 2011/03/04 21:52:59 UTC

Re: Watson powered by UIMA

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Frank Schilder <
frank.schilder@thomsonreuters.com> wrote:

> This was a couple of years ago and I don¹t remember the exact run time
> exception.
>
> I remember that other people at the time had problems with JPL that is also
> JNI-based based on the web searches I did at that time.
>
> I¹m just wondering what kind of prolog you used and how you called it from
> Java.

For Watson we support several different prologs including SWI, but we had
the most success in terms of speed and stability with SICStus Prolog (using
its jasper JNI interface).  SWI and SICStus support almost exactly the same
set of predicates so it's fairly easy to switch back and forth.

I do recall hitting some memory leak problems with some of the prologs, but
the latest version of SICStus is holding up quite well for us.

 -Adam