Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au> on 2017/11/22 06:11:11 UTC

Re: inheriting COA from other accounting package(s)

Hi Rajesh,

A Chart of accounts needs to be able to support reporting in ways expected
by governments, auditors, etc. There are general principles of accounting
that organisations are expected to comply with. Two major ones are IFRS,
which originated in Europe and is now widely used, and GAAP, which more a
US thing. I have seen articles saying people are working on converging
Indian accounting standards with IFRS within five years.

So, I think there is some consensus on Charts of Accounts. If your chart
looks much like someone else's, there are solid reasons for that.

This Czech company offers free example IFRS and GAAP charts for download:
https://www.ifrs-gaap.com/accounting-examples . You could base yours on
these examples and "fill in the blanks" if there's something you see in
another accounting package that might be relevant.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: info@coherentsoftware.com.au

Re: inheriting COA from other accounting package(s)

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Mr Paul  for the input.

It was a good learning for me.  Missing out
on this lively community I hope to involve again soon.

Currently I am re-using the generic data models of ofbiz for my
other projects. I really see it as a great enabler for many projects
that are about organizational data.

regds
mallah.