Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com> on 2003/11/28 12:44:10 UTC

Re: Chain - not comatible

(thanks Batien for emailing the war).

When runing Struts Chain example I get a "Sepecified RequestProcessor is
not compatible with TilesRequestProcessor".

Is there a work arround?

(Tiles  and tilesaction are VERY important to my designs)

.V

(I am still just looking at examples.. still not sure how to write a
"hello world" chain)

Re: Chain - not comatible

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.
I worked around it by creating a new TilesPlugin that doesn't require a
TilesRequestProcessor.

Another workaround would be to make ComposableRequestProcessor extend
TilesRequestProcessor, but that kinda sucks.

Greg

Re: Chain - not comatible

Posted by BaTien Duong <ba...@dbgroups.com>.
Vic Cekvenich wrote:

> (thanks Batien for emailing the war).
>
> When runing Struts Chain example I get a "Sepecified RequestProcessor
> is not compatible with TilesRequestProcessor".
>
> Is there a work arround?

I will take a look at it. It will take sometime since I am in the middle
of a major business proposal. Hope others may have a solution sooner.
Since Tiles is used by many Struts sites, Chain to work with Tiles is
very critical before we can talk about other presentation frameworks.
Cheer :-)

BaTien
DBGROUPS

Re: Chain - not comatible

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> (I am still just looking at examples.. still not sure how to write a
> "hello world" chain)

There are two distinct things going on.

Commons Chain is a general-purpose implementation of the Chain of
Responsibility pattern. It could be used by any Java application,
library, or framework that needed to implement a Chain of Responsibility.

Once likely suspect for a Chain of Responsibility is the Struts
RequestProcessor. So, as a proof of concept, we're working on a Struts
Chain RequestProcessor. The goal here is to be able to plug it into
Struts like any other RequestProcessor, without any Struts API changes.
Then, at some point, we'd be likely to make Struts-Chain the default
RequestProcessor, since it is more extensible than the 1.1 version.

To use Commons Chain in an application, you create a Context and pass it
to a Command. The Command can then do whatever you like, including
adding a "hello world" entry to the Context. The Context is then
returned the caller.

In a web application, the context could simply be added to the request
context, or used to populate an ActionForm or some other JavaBean.

In the web package of Chain, there is a generic Servlet and a generic
Listener class that can be used to load a Catalog of Commands into
application-scope. Then, all the Action has to do is lookup a given
Command Chain in the Catalog, invoke it with the desired context, and
place the result in request or session scope. Another approach would be
to use the ServletWebContext, so that any changes the Command makes to
the Context are reflected in request scope.

But, right now, both Struts-Chain and Commons-Chain are in the sandbox,
mainly because we haven't finished doing the hello world examples :)

-Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,