Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/06 21:23:47 UTC

ForumDemo copied to EOB CVS

Folks,

As a coutesy I thought I'd mention that I have forked the 'ForumDemo'
out of Velocity CVS and into that of Enterprise Object Broker (EOB).
 Essentially the indentical Velocity webapp is launched by EOB nearly
unchnaged, but the Message and ForumDataBase classes have been changed (
separated into interface/impl and ForumDatabase is no longer static)

The ControllerServlet rather than handling the object model directly,
now does a lookup on the single instance of ForumDatabase, and also
treats the Message interface as a pass-by-reference boundary.  The
MessageImpl and ForumDatabaseImpl beans do not persist, that might
follow. Velocity itself is in jar form, and is a snapshot from CVS this
morning.

For people interested in the technology, Velocity is running insode the
'Jo!' webserver which sits alongside EOB on top on Avalon-Phoenix in one
JVM.  AltRMI glues the beans to the servlet, sadly in this case that
means sockets until some JNDI enhancements to AltRMI are started.

For those interested in the EOB project, check out
http://eob.sourceforge.net/  Ignore the 0.20 release as it does not have
the ForumDemo in it.  If you are CVS and Ant savvy, you should manage to
build and launch the demo.

Apache license and original author honoured in the forked demo.  Thanks
folks.

Regards,

- Paul