Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Stathy G. Touloumis" <st...@edisonaffiliates.com> on 2003/02/06 20:55:42 UTC

Disabling TransHandler

Our sysadmin was attempting to disable a TransHandler for a virtual host
using a directive that he used in the past.  I wasn't aware of such a
directive and was further stumped when I saw it :

PerlSetVar authsession false

He does not remember where he got this from but it seems to work.  Any
ideas as to why this would disable a TransHandler?  Where does it come from
and what mod_perl code uses it?

The only TransHandler on this site makes no references to using any
configuration variables set this way.

Thanks,

Re: Disabling TransHandler

Posted by "Stathy G. Touloumis" <st...@edisonaffiliates.com>.
>>Our sysadmin was attempting to disable a TransHandler for a virtual host
>>using a directive that he used in the past.  I wasn't aware of such a
>>directive and was further stumped when I saw it :
>>PerlSetVar authsession false
>>He does not remember where he got this from but it seems to work.  Any
>>ideas as to why this would disable a TransHandler?  Where does it come
>>from and what mod_perl code uses it?
>>The only TransHandler on this site makes no references to using any
>>configuration variables set this way.
>
>I suppose you had PerlPostReadRequestHandler which was doing:
>
>my $auth = $r->dir_config('authsession');
>$r->set_handlers(PerlTransHandler => sub { return OK })
>   if $auth eq 'false';
>
>this is not a magic internal feature ;)

Nope, I wrote every handler being used on the system and there is nothing
that uses the 'authsession' directive/variable.

Re: Disabling TransHandler

Posted by "Stathy G. Touloumis" <st...@edisonaffiliates.com>.
>>>Our sysadmin was attempting to disable a TransHandler for a virtual host
>>>using a directive that he used in the past.  I wasn't aware of such a
>>>directive and was further stumped when I saw it :
>>>PerlSetVar authsession false
>>>He does not remember where he got this from but it seems to work.  Any
>>>ideas as to why this would disable a TransHandler?  Where does it come
>>>from and what mod_perl code uses it?
>>>The only TransHandler on this site makes no references to using any
>>>configuration variables set this way.
>>
>>I suppose you had PerlPostReadRequestHandler which was doing:
>>
>>my $auth = $r->dir_config('authsession');
>>$r->set_handlers(PerlTransHandler => sub { return OK })
>>   if $auth eq 'false';
>>
>>this is not a magic internal feature ;)
>
>Nope, I wrote every handler being used on the system and there is nothing
>that uses the 'authsession' directive/variable.

It turns out this variable did nothing ... the trans handler took care of a
simple redirect under certain circumstances which the sys-admin wanted to
avoid.  It turns out that some time ago he put an html file containing a
redirect that pointed to where he wanted which the trans handler redirected
to!  He just forgot he did this and assumed that the PerlSetVar directive
was what prevented the trans handler from functioning ...

Thanks for the response : )

Re: Disabling TransHandler

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.