Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> on 2005/05/04 13:58:15 UTC

reserved web space for names URIs?

Hi Guys,

Can we agree to reserve a Web space for NS URIs for Apache WS projects?
How about
	http;//ws.apache.org/namespaces/*

So if Axis2 wants to create something we might ask for say
	http://ws.apache.org/namespaces/axis2/<whatever>

Likewise we should agree that all WS projects will (try to) put
namespaces under this pattern.

I'd like to push to put RDDL [1][2] documents at the end of the NS URI
but that's a secondary question.

Thoughts?

Sanjiva.

[1] http://www.rddl.org
[2] http://xml.coverpages.org/rddl.html

Re: reserved web space for names URIs?

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Anne,

> Hmmm ...
>
> A namespace URI is a name. Is "Sanjiva" evil? It seems pretty flat to
> me, unstructured, and unresolvable wthout global knowledge. But it
> seems to work pretty well. Pretty much everyone working in this space
> can recognize and resolve the name "Sanjiva". The reason I like URNs
> is that they aren't resolvable, and therefore it's clear that they
> are, in fact, names.

Ah I see your reasoning. OTOH you, with your built in semantic (Web ;-))
processor (aka your brain) know how to associate semantics/information
to names intelligently. The advantage of making namespace names
resolvable is to provide the really brain-dead, as dumb, browser-like
software to deliver some (potentially semantic) information about the
namespace name to the user. Without that ability, its just a flat opaque
string and that's it.

> But that's just my opinion. Who am I to argue with the likes of TimBL
> and Tim Bray?

:-) I didn't follow all the religious debate on this topic that happened
on the TAG mailing list but I know it was far from a decision that was
arrived at quickly or easily. I'm pretty should Tim Bray was for it
(after all he's the/a driver of RDDL) but I'm certain you're in
distinguished company.

Sanjiva.

Re: reserved web space for names URIs?

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm ...

A namespace URI is a name. Is "Sanjiva" evil? It seems pretty flat to
me, unstructured, and unresolvable wthout global knowledge. But it
seems to work pretty well. Pretty much everyone working in this space
can recognize and resolve the name "Sanjiva". The reason I like URNs
is that they aren't resolvable, and therefore it's clear that they
are, in fact, names.

But that's just my opinion. Who am I to argue with the likes of TimBL
and Tim Bray?

Anne

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Hi Anne!

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 5/4/05, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk> wrote:

> Can we agree to reserve a Web space for NS URIs for Apache WS projects?
> How about
>         http;//ws.apache.org/namespaces/*
>
> So if Axis2 wants to create something we might ask for say
>         http://ws.apache.org/namespaces/axis2/<whatever>
>
> Likewise we should agree that all WS projects will (try to) put
> namespaces under this pattern.

JaxMe does so since day one of incubation.

Inside of a dog, its too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)