Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Janardhan <ja...@apache.org> on 2021/05/10 09:00:38 UTC

[QUESTION] Docker release publishing

Hi all,

I am from apache/systemds. There is a docker image published
at https://hub.docker.com/r/apache/airflow

Is this user `apache` managed by the ASF?
We would want to publish our images to this user, anybody would
like to provide some info?

Thank a lot,
Janardhan

Re: [QUESTION] Docker release publishing

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Yep. Very much so.

If you look at the "Official Docker Image AIP-26" project [1], there are
two items left from AIP-26 [2].

* Have a read-only copy repository with only Dockerfile + relevant scripts
* Publish it a "official" docker image

This is the ultimate goal of AIP-26 and one of the "closing" criteria for
the AIP. It's one of the reasons AIP-26 is not "closed" yet:  "5) The image
follows guidelines of https://github.com/docker-library/official-images and
is present in the official images list."

I just wanted to give it enough time to go through a number of iterations
and releases and fix any problems. We've gone through a number of those
after we released 2.0, we've improved and simplified the build process and
documentation https://airflow.apache.org/docs/docker-stack/build.html,
added a lot of useful examples and solved a number of problems (including
PIP 21 compatibility, dependency cleanups, simplifying parameters used,
clarifying Open-Shift compatibility, optimised building process, decreased
number of layers etc. etc).

Still some occasional problems are being sorted out (for example the one
merged today: [3]) but I think we are at the stage that we can "freeze"
build arguments and process and make it ready to release "officially" with
stable process and guarantee of backwards compatibility for the docker
build process (which we could not do before).

Now, we are just about to release 2.1 and about to release Helm Chart using
it (which is another project [4] but also part of AIP-26 success criteria),
so this is something we will definitely do.

J.

[1] https://github.com/apache/airflow/projects/3
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=132320277
[3] https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/15774
[4] https://github.com/apache/airflow/projects/7

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: [QUESTION] Docker release publishing

Posted by Janardhan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot. It helped us.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

--