Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> on 2010/10/07 11:46:58 UTC

Re: [Meta] Unsubscribe / help footer at the bottom of messages to this list.

On 07.10.10 11:11, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> before I unsubscribe I should note that the incoming messages from this list
> should have an Unsubscribe / How-to-get-help footer at teh bottom of their
> messages.

They have standardized header:

Don't blame the mailing list just because your mailer is not capable of
processing that...

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> On 07.10.10 13:28, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> > I see what you mean, but, well, I personally would vote "no" to this.
> >
> > I'm really tired of all that mailing lists which can't stay from
> > attaching their own banners and general hints at the message tail.

I fully agree.

> not mentioning breakage of e.g. DKIM.
> btw, not to be off-topic at least once, can SA comply with this?

Not breaking DKIM signature? Yes, on both accounts:

  (thankfully it does not modify Subject or add footers/signatures);

- DKIM signatures in messages passed through SpamAssassin are normally
  not invalidated, unless one configures SA to modify Subject or to add
  a report to the body of a message.

Mark

Re: [Meta] Unsubscribe / help footer at the bottom of messages to this list.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
> > Furthermore, I suggest having a footer with unsubscription / help
> > information in addition to the header because the header may not be
> > visible, not all E-mail clients may display it, and people may
> > otherwise be unaware of it. I have often seen some "unsubscribe"
> > messages sent to mailing lists and putting the ubsubscription
> > information in the footer greatly reduces that.

- the unsubscribe instructions are in the subscription confirming e-mail
  (you must send subscription request and confirm it back to get that mail)

- I've seen unsubscribe requests even in lists that do have such footer

On 07.10.10 13:28, Giampaolo Tomassoni wrote:
> I see what you mean, but, well, I personally would vote "no" to this.
>
> I'm really tired of all that mailing lists which can't stay from attaching
> their own banners and general hints at the message tail.

not mentioning breakage of e.g. DKIM.

btw, not to be off-topic at least once, can SA comply with this?

then used against you.

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <Gi...@Tomassoni.biz>.
> Furthermore, I suggest having a footer with unsubscription / help
> information
> in addition to the header because the header may not be visible, not
> all E-
> mail clients may display it, and people may otherwise be unaware of it.
> I have
> often seen some "unsubscribe" messages sent to mailing lists and
> putting the
> ubsubscription information in the footer greatly reduces that.

I see what you mean, but, well, I personally would vote "no" to this.

I'm really tired of all that mailing lists which can't stay from attaching
their own banners and general hints at the message tail.

After all, the SA users list is not for the faint of heart and people (like
you do, in example) should at least know how to unsubscribe from an
ezmlm-managed list...

Giampaolo

Posted by Shlomi Fish <sh...@iglu.org.il>.
On Thursday 07 October 2010 11:57:03 Mathias Homann wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2010 11:46:58 Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> > On 07.10.10 11:11, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > > before I unsubscribe I should note that the incoming messages from this
> > > list should have an Unsubscribe / How-to-get-help footer at teh bottom
> > > of their messages.
> >
> > They have standardized header:

> > Don't blame the mailing list just because your mailer is not capable of
> > processing that...
>
> oh, but the kmail that shlomi's using is perfectly capable to process list
> headers... all you need is a filter to move mails from lists into separate
> folders, one per list, and then tell kmail that those folders contain
> mailing lists.

I already filter the mails into their own folders. However, I don't see an
option to explicitly tell kmail that those folders contain mailing list (not
that I know how this will matter).

Posted by Mathias Homann <ad...@eregion.de>.