Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/31 16:47:40 UTC

Re: BuildingSecureWebApplications - restrictions using SecurityManager with Velocity 1.3.1

Hi,

I wrote that doc originally.

I did manage to run Tomcat under a Security Manager.  It was a hassle -- a
lot of framework libraries (I was using Hibernate and Velocity, among
others) use reflection which can fail under strict SecurityManager
settings.  I had to go through a trial-and-error process in which I kept
getting access errors for specific classes, permitting them in the security
settings, and then trying again.   Unfortunately, I don't have the list of
specific settings I used.

I've been less concerned about this issue ever since Velocity introduced the
SecureIntrospector which prevents template authors from calling class loader
related method calls.

WILL