Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Vasudeva Bhandarkar <Va...@infosys.com> on 2011/05/12 06:53:04 UTC

[Lucene.Net] Lucene .Net search with Standard Analyzer does not work properly with keywords containing - (hyphen)

Hi,

I am using the Lucene.Net.dll version 2.0.0.4 with Standard Analyzer mode. We are using the Lucene.Net to perform a search on the Index files.

I found that the Lucene search does not work properly when I search for some data like abc-bcd. Though there are sufficient number of records with abc-bcd, it does not return any results.

But when I search for something like 2,4-D fetches me all the matching records.

Could you please help me in finding out what is the issue and why this search abc-bcd does not fetch result?

I have also tried escape character \ in the search query like:

abc\-bcd

I found some information on this in the web link given below, but I could not resolve the issue.

http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/queryparsersyntax.html

Could  you please let me know if I am missing something here.

Also if you could provide me the details of any support group that can help me with Lucene .Net related issues, that will be really helpful.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Vas

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: [Lucene.Net] Lucene .Net search with Standard Analyzer does not work properly with keywords containing - (hyphen)

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Vasudeva Bhandarkar <Vasudeva_B@infosys.com

> I am using the Lucene.Net.dll version 2.0.0.4 with Standard Analyzer mode.
> We are using the Lucene.Net to perform a search on the Index files.

 I strongly recommend to upgrade to 2.9.2

> I found that the Lucene search does not work properly when I search for
> some data like abc-bcd. Though there are sufficient number of records with
> abc-bcd, it does not return any results.
>
> But when I search for something like 2,4-D fetches me all the matching
> records.
>
> Could you please help me in finding out what is the issue and why this
> search abc-bcd does not fetch result?
>
> I have also tried escape character \ in the search query like:
>
> abc\-bcd
>
> I found some information on this in the web link given below, but I could
> not resolve the issue.
>
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_4_0/queryparsersyntax.html
>
> Could  you please let me know if I am missing something here.

Here is a sample code. Compare with your code to see what is going wrong.

            *RAMDirectory dir = new RAMDirectory();*
*
*
*            //Add one doc*
*            IndexWriter wr = new IndexWriter(dir, new StandardAnalyzer(),
true);*
*            Document doc = new Document();*
*            doc.Add(new Field("field", "abc-def", Field.Store.YES,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED));*
*            wr.AddDocument(doc);*
*            wr.Close();*
*
*
*            //Search*
*            IndexReader rdr = Lucene.Net.Index.IndexReader.Open(dir);*
*            IndexSearcher src = new IndexSearcher(rdr);*
*            Query query = new QueryParser("field", new
StandardAnalyzer()).Parse("abc-def");*
*            TopDocs topdocs = src.Search(query, 1);*
*            MessageBox.Show(topdocs.ScoreDocs.Length.ToString());*

> Also if you could provide me the details of any support group that can help
> me with Lucene .Net related issues, that will be really helpful.

This is the correct list, but you should subscribe to post messages.

> Thank you.
>
> Best Regards,
> Vas

> solely
> for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient,
> please
> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you
> are not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
> taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for
> any damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry
> out your
> own virus checks before opening the e-mail or attachment. Infosys reserves
> the
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from
> this e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

DIGY