Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Lorenzo Marcon <lo...@startrekitalia.com> on 2006/11/27 16:46:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache accessible only from localhost on Windows XP

Good morning,
I have installed Apache 2.2.3 and php5 on Windows XP Professional SP2.
My problem is that the webserver seems to work only if it's being accessed
from the same machine it is installed on.
If I try http://localhost from my browser all seems to work perfectly, php
pages included.
The other way round, I am nearly completely unable to access the webserver
from any other PC of the same LAN in which the server is. If I digit
http://41.10.215.60 (that's my server ip), the connection times out.

It's not the first time that I install a webserver, so, hoping to resolve
the problem, I tried the following operations:
- Granted all permissions to Apache on my personal firewall ---> No result
- Completely disabled the personal firewall (Windows firewall is disabled
too, I checked.) ---> No result
- Tried a ping to the webserver address ---> It works
- Tried a telnet to the webserver address  ---> Connection times out
- Tried to change listening port of Apache ---> Behaviour didn't change

Note that on the machine running the webserver I have a dual boot system. So
I tried to install Apache on the linux: the result is a perfectly working
server machine. No problems of accessibility, even from the LAN.
That makes me exclude network problems (according to this, note that the
ping was successful). Problem is only related on running the server on
Windows XP.

This is not all. I have to say, that *sometimes* I'm successful in getting a
*single* page from Apache on Windows. This happens when I'm not accessing
the server since a long time. But after the first successful connection,
server cease to work again.
To show you the behaviour I'm talking about, I'll post the output of a
telnet connection attempt to Apache. You'll see a first successful
connection attempt, immediately followed by another identical connection
attempt, this time being rejected:

---------------------
telnet 41.10.215.60 80
Trying 41.10.215.60...
Connected to 41.10.215.60.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET /
host.

telnet 41.10.215.60 80
Trying 41.10.215.60...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

I do not have success in connecting again after the first attempt. The only
way I have to gain access again is to wait some time, or to reboot the
machine.
I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with a small test client/server
application written by myself. That makes me exclude that the problem is in
Apache.

Thank you in advance for your help. Sorry for any mistake in my English.