Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org> on 2016/11/06 17:32:06 UTC

FindBugs project announced as 'dead', blaims code rot and lack of maintainers

See
https://mailman.cs.umd.edu/pipermail/findbugs-discuss/2016-November/004321.html

In particular the author is not happy about the BCEL integration:

> The other major reasons for the FindBugs current bad state:
>
> 1) The code is very complex, has "organically grown" over a decade, is
> not documented and has poor public interfaces. Most of the code consists
> of the very low level bytecode related stuff, tightly coupled with the
> ancient BCEL library, which doesn't scale and is not multi-thread safe.
> No one enjoys maintaining this code, at least not me. I see no future
> for FindBugs with the BCEL approach, and see no way to get rid of it
> without investing lot of effort, and without breaking every detector and
> possibly many 3rd party tools. This is the biggest issue we have with
> FindBugs today, and most likely the root cause for all the evil. This
> code can't be fixed, it must be rewritten.

..but the main problem seems to be lack of maintaners.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

Re: FindBugs project announced as 'dead', blaims code rot and lack of maintainers

Posted by Timo <Ma...@gmx.de>.
Looks like Bill Pugh was woken up:
https://twitter.com/wpugh/status/795350364291813376

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 6. Nov. 2016 um
19:00 Uhr:

> The whole post is interesting. Sounds like a fork is inevitable. So much
> work though...

There already is a fork. See [1]

Benedikt

[1] https://github.com/spotbugs/spotbugs

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brosius <db...@apache.org>.
The problem is the admin/owner has left and refuses to give access to
anyone else. The team has already decided to hard - fork, and is working
to get set up. Anyone interested in joining is welcome.

Contact me if interested.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
A classic Monty Python "I'm not dead yet!"

Gary

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Bruno P. Kinoshita <
brunodepaulak@yahoo.com.br.invalid> wrote:

> I think the maintainer of FindBugs replied yesterday to the HackerNews
> thread
>
> Looks like there will be some activity in the next weeks :) hopefully
> someone
> else will be added as project admin too
>
> Bruno

JUnit in Action, Second Edition

Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: FindBugs project announced as 'dead', blaims code rot and lack of maintainers

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br.INVALID>.
I think the maintainer of FindBugs replied yesterday to the HackerNews thread
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12885549