Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com> on 2003/12/16 15:30:04 UTC

Proxying SSL certificates

Hi all,

I am developing a web service(I will call it frontend) that must act as
a client for a second web service(backend). The backend service expects
a user certificate for authentication purposes, and I would like to
configure the frontend service to also require a user certificate, and
use the incoming certificate as the credentials for the backend.  Is
this possible?

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Re: Proxying SSL certificates

Posted by Rodrigo Ruiz <rr...@gridsystems.com>.
Thanks for all your responses. I will try another approach: having a
"special" user only for my middleware, I will try to import the
keys+certificates from the backend when I need them. The backend keeps a
copy of all user certificates and keys, as they are all generated there,
so stablishing a secure channel between both servers should maintain the
server security, as long as the middle server is secure, of course ;-)

Best regards,
Rodrigo Ruiz

Posted by Rick Kellogg <rm...@comcast.net>.
Rodrigo,

It has been my experience you will not find the performance acceptable.
Using SSL once is expensive.  Multiple passes will really hurt.  Just my
opinion.

Rick