Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Ryan Dielhenn <rd...@confluent.io.INVALID> on 2021/08/03 19:13:38 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.0.0 release plan with new updated dates

Hi Konstantine,

I would like to report another bug in KRaft.

The ConfigHandler that processes dynamic broker config deltas in KRaft
expects that the default resource name for dynamic broker configs is the
old default entity name used in ZK: "<default>". Since dynamic default
broker configs are persisted as empty string in the quorum instead of
"<default>", the brokers are not updating the their default configuration
when they see empty string as a resource name in the config delta and are
throwing a NumberFormatException when they try to parse the resource name
to process it as a per-broker configuration.

I filed a JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-13160

I also have a PR to fix this: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/11168

I think that this should be a blocker for 3.0 because dynamic default
broker configs will not be usable in KRaft otherwise.

Best,
Ryan Dielhenn

Posted by Konstantine Karantasis <kk...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the brief discussion Matthias and Israel.

Since there's no option but to merge a change, at this late stage in the
release process I'd agree with Matthias's suggestion to move forward with a
partial reversion of changes, which seems to be the safest of the two
options. I'll port the changes to the release plan and the blogpost I'm
preparing.

Hi Ron. Thanks for reporting the new issue. Indeed, we are quite picky
about what constitutes a blocker at this point. I was about to start
preparing the first RC earlier today.
The issue you report seems to meet our bar. Given that it's low risk, I'm
in favor of including it if we can merge the PR you prepared some time
soon.

Thank you all,
Konstantine

Posted by Ron Dagostino <rn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <mj...@apache.org>.
Given the discussed upgrade path from the current join semantics to the
improved join semantics, I think it's best to partly revert KIP-633 for
3.0 release.

I prepared a PR for it: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/11233

The idea is to stay on `JoinWindows.of().grace()` and not add
`JoinWindows.ofTimeDifferenceAndGrace / NoGrace()`: this way users
cannot enable the spurious left/outer join fix and we are safe.

We can fix the join bug and complete KIP-633 in 3.1 release.

As we undo the deprecation for `JoinWindows.of()` and
`JoinWindows.grace()`, I assume your talk is still correct... I actually
also talked about the stream/stream join fix in Kafka Summit Europe this
yeer "advertising" the improved join semantics... So we are somewhat in
the same boat. Still think it's fine if it only ships in 3.1 instead of 3.0.

I understand that it is annoying to only ship a partially implemented
KIP, but I strongly believe it's the best way forward.

-Matthias

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.
Konstantine,

Posted by Israel Ekpo <is...@gmail.com>.