Posted to user@ode.apache.org by Daniel Luebke <da...@inf.uni-hannover.de> on 2009/06/23 21:26:07 UTC

OT: wsp:policy element in WSDL

Hi all,

this is totally off-topic, so if you know a list I can ask this
question, this would be pretty much welcome because I don't know one.

Otherwise I was stumbling across the following:
In nearly every tutorial you find about WS-Policy, an element
<wsp:UsingPolicy  wsdl:required="true" /> is inserted into the WSDL. wsp
is bound to the WS-Policy namespace. However, in the schemas available
at http://www.w3.org/2007/02/ws-policy.xsd and
http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/09/policy/ , there is no such element
UsingPolicy. Does anybody know in which schema it is defined?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Daniel

Re: OT: wsp:policy element in WSDL

Posted by Daniel Luebke <da...@inf.uni-hannover.de>.
Hi,

Paul Brown schrieb:
> [...]
> This is as good a place to ask about web services ephemera as any...

That was my hope ;-)
> [...]
> I don't think you'll find it in any schema.  If I recall correctly,
> it's defined by the WS-Policy Attachment specs (the specs that define
> how you mark-up, e.g., a WSDL or UDDI entries) to reflect the policies
> attached to components.  The wsp:UsingPolicy element is a kind of
> marker that goes in the WSDL as a poison pill for processors that
> don't know what to do with it.

This would mean that every WSDL with this tag cannot be validated
against the schemas. I stumbled across this because I used standard XML
tooling for generating WSDLs and I couldn't insert this tag. To me
having invalid XML files in this regard is... well... astohnishing.
Especially, because the WSDL and XSD standards are using all features of
XSD that you can imagine.

Daniel

Posted by Paul Brown <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Daniel --