Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Matthias Müller <py...@yahoo.de> on 2011/11/22 15:51:38 UTC

[C2.2] Bad performance with Cocoon/Tomcat

I'm running a Cocoon 2.2 Webapp on a Tomcat 7 Server and facing some performance issues.
I do some aggregations of large xml files, transform them multiple times
 and finally serialize the streams to pdf that could contain > 1000
pages. These input xml files grew over the last years and so did the
output. For that I had to adjust the jvm settings again and again. Since
 we're running Tomcat in an 32bit environment I now reached the max of
1600 mb of memory that could be allocated for the jvm. Now my Cocoon
sometimes quits with Java Heap Space issues.
I ended up reproducing my Cocoon tasks sporadically with Ant. And I wonder: the whole process is about 3 times faster than with
Cocoon on Tomcat, on a less powerful machine! The needed memory is also
about the half of the memory that is needed by Cocoon on Tomcat.
Is this a Tomcat issue? With Ant I always have to serialize the XML that
 I produce with each step, whereas with Cocoon I hold a XML Stream in
the memory. Is that the problem?

Any ideas, experiences, alternatives are much appreciated

Matthias

[C2.2] Building from checkout fails

Posted by Hugh Sparks <hu...@csparks.com>.
After begin away for a short time, I find that it is no longer possible to do an svn checkout of the cocoon trunk (2.2) followed by the build script "build.sh install".  Dozens of errors are reported by maven. Most are related to daisy and nekodtd, but the problems are pervasive and I'm not sure how to proceed. This situation has been true for several months. I've tried building on Windows and Linux with similar results.

Since no one else has reported problems of this nature with C22, it occured to me that I'm simply "out of the game" and don't know where to check out the sources and what build tools to use. How are things done among the successful cocoon developers?

Details:

    svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk myCocoon
    cd myCocoon
    ./build.sh install
    [disaster]

I'm using maven 3.0.3 on Windows and Linux.

Thanks very much,

-Hugh Sparks

RE: [C2.2] Bad performance with Cocoon/Tomcat

Posted by Robby Pelssers <Ro...@nxp.com>.
You first might want to read this thread and let me know  if it still applies.

http://old.nabble.com/memory-leak-in-PoolableProxyHandler-td29023190.html

Robby