Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by "hper5486@bigpond.net.au" <ha...@bigpond.net.au> on 2004/12/10 07:51:12 UTC

[AXIS2]SVN and tortoisesvn

Not sure if I should be sending this email to this list.

I need to familiarise myself with SVN, which I believe is meant to supercede CVS
.

I have no prior experience of using CVS.

My experience has been with Rational ClearCase and a product developed and
used by Oracle called ADE(Based on ClearCase).

Where can I find documentation for SVN?

Where does tortoisesvn fit in to the source control picture?

Thanks
Harsha

Re: [AXIS2]SVN and tortoisesvn

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi there

Have a look at svn.tigris.org for SVN docs.

What happens when you install tortoiseSVN is that it integrates with
windows explorer. You can right-click on any folder and download the
source to that by saying checkout (you will see the new context menus)

BTW when you download source you will see that a hidden folder named
.svn is created in every sub folder. Dont mess with them :) they are
needed to correctly handle the SVN versions

--
Ajith Ranabahu

RE: [AXIS2]SVN and tortoisesvn

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.
You can get some idea abt SVN from

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/#ggviewer-offsite-nav-9056760

tortoisesvn is the client u use to access the SVN.
i.e. u can communicate with SVN, using commands it has provided. This is
sort of a headache. So tortoisesvn has provided some user friendly interface
to do that. This is just like winCVS.

Regards,
Eran Chinthaka