Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Marcos Sousa <fa...@marcossousa.com> on 2014/05/12 20:52:19 UTC

Data node with multiple disks

Hi,

I have 20 servers with 10 HD with 400GB SATA. I'd like to use them to be my
datanode:

/vol1/hadoop/data
/vol2/hadoop/data
/vol3/hadoop/data
/volN/hadoop/data

How do user those distinct discs not to replicate?

Best regards,

--
Marcos Sousa

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcos,
If these discs are not shared across nodes, I would not worry. Hadoop takes
care of making sure data is not replicated to single node.

But if all these 20 nodes are sharing these 10 HDD's,

Then you may have to basically assign specific disc to specific node and
make your cluster rack aware so that the replication in same rack would go
to different node and replication to second rack will to new disc.

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM, kishore alajangi <alajangikishore@gmail.com

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcos,

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcos,

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
You will need to set them up in the hdfs-site.xml.

P.s. Their default is present in the hdfs-default.xml you linked to:
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r2.4.1/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/hdfs-default.xml#dfs.datanode.data.dir

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

--
Harsh J

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Arthur.hk.chan@gmail.com" <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Did you configure the property "dfs.datanode.data.dir" with multiple
mount point?

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Re: Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by hadoop hive <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tsuyoshi OZAWA <oz...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

--
- Tsuyoshi

Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Marcos,

--
Nitin Pawar

Hadoop 2.4.0 How to change "Configured Capacity"

Posted by kishore alajangi <al...@gmail.com>.
replication factor=1

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM, SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your question is unclear. Please restate and describe what you are
> attempting to do.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Monday, May 12, 2014, Marcos Sousa <fa...@marcossousa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 20 servers with 10 HD with 400GB SATA. I'd like to use them to be
>> my datanode:
>>
>> /vol1/hadoop/data
>> /vol2/hadoop/data
>> /vol3/hadoop/data
>> /volN/hadoop/data
>>
>> How do user those distinct discs not to replicate?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Marcos Sousa

Kishore.

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by kishore alajangi <al...@gmail.com>.
replication factor=1

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM, SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your question is unclear. Please restate and describe what you are
> attempting to do.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Monday, May 12, 2014, Marcos Sousa <fa...@marcossousa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 20 servers with 10 HD with 400GB SATA. I'd like to use them to be
>> my datanode:
>>
>> /vol1/hadoop/data
>> /vol2/hadoop/data
>> /vol3/hadoop/data
>> /volN/hadoop/data
>>
>> How do user those distinct discs not to replicate?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Marcos Sousa

Kishore.

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by kishore alajangi <al...@gmail.com>.
replication factor=1

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM, SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your question is unclear. Please restate and describe what you are
> attempting to do.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Monday, May 12, 2014, Marcos Sousa <fa...@marcossousa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 20 servers with 10 HD with 400GB SATA. I'd like to use them to be
>> my datanode:
>>
>> /vol1/hadoop/data
>> /vol2/hadoop/data
>> /vol3/hadoop/data
>> /volN/hadoop/data
>>
>> How do user those distinct discs not to replicate?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Marcos Sousa

Kishore.

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by kishore alajangi <al...@gmail.com>.
replication factor=1

On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 11:04 AM, SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Your question is unclear. Please restate and describe what you are
> attempting to do.
>
> Thanks.
>

> On Monday, May 12, 2014, Marcos Sousa <fa...@marcossousa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have 20 servers with 10 HD with 400GB SATA. I'd like to use them to be
>> my datanode:
>>
>> /vol1/hadoop/data
>> /vol2/hadoop/data
>> /vol3/hadoop/data
>> /volN/hadoop/data
>>
>> How do user those distinct discs not to replicate?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> --
>> Marcos Sousa

Kishore.

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aitor Perez Cedres <ap...@pragsis.com>.
If you specify a list in the property "dfs.datanode.data.dir" hadoop
will distribute the data blocks among all those disks; it will not
replicate data between them. If you want to use the disks as a single
one you gotta make a LVM array or any other solution to present them as
a single one to the OS.

However, benchmarks prove that specifying a list of disks and letting
hadoop distribute data among them gives better performance.

--
*Aitor Pérez*
/Big Data System Engineer/

Telf.: +34 917 680 490
Fax: +34 913 833 301
C/Manuel Tovar, 49-53 - 28034 Madrid - Spain

_http://www.bidoop.es_

Re: Data node with multiple disks

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.
just set you replication factor to 1 and you will be fine.

Posted by Aitor Perez Cedres <ap...@pragsis.com>.

Posted by Aitor Perez Cedres <ap...@pragsis.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by SF Hadoop <sf...@gmail.com>.