Posted to repository@apache.org by re...@apache.org on 2005/01/23 05:32:54 UTC

[ASF Repository Project Wiki] New: BrettPorter

   Date: 2005-01-22T20:32:54
   Editor: BrettPorter
   Wiki: ASF Repository Project Wiki
   Page: BrettPorter

   no comment

New Page:

My thoughts on the road map...
== Repository Policies ==

=== MD5 format ===

Different tools on different platforms write an md5 file in different formats.
The standard agreed for the ASF repository is:
{{{
d1dcb0fbee884bb855bb327b8190af36 commons-collections-3.1.jar
}}}

This is equivalent to the output of GNU md5sum, without the "*" to indicate a binary file. All files are to be treated as binary.

=== Permissions ===

All directories should be group writeable in the repository, however no files should be group writable. This means that files can be removed but not changed without an explicit override.

Re: format .md5 files

Posted by "Henk P. Penning" <he...@cs.uu.nl>.
On Mon, 26 Dec 2005, Carlos Sanchez wrote:

> Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 11:55:50 +0100
> From: Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>
> To: repository@apache.org
> Subject: Re: format .md5 files
> Sender: carlossg@gmail.com
>
> For maven it's fine

  Great ; thanks.

  HPP

----------------------------------------------------------------   _
Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

Re: format .md5 files

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
For maven it's fine

Thanks

Re: format .md5 files

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 12/26/05, Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com> wrote:
> The output above is not consistent with what maven 1 produces when jars
> are deployed using maven 1's jar goal, nor is it consistent with what
> md5sum -b produces or expects when used to verify.
>
> This was recently discussed on commons-dev
> <http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113487309500001&r=1&w=2>, where the
> consensus appeared to be to use the format produced by md5sum -b for
> .md5 files included in releases:
>
> <hash> *<file_name>
>
>  From Carlos' reply, I assume maven (2?) can "eat" the format above when
> verifying jars.  Whatever we agree on, maven should be able to produce
> it as part of jar deployment as well, and we should probably use the
> same format for md5's attached to zips and tarballs.  My preference
> would be to use a "standard" format if such a thing exists.  Apologies
> if the format above is a standard and I am just ignorant of it.
>
> Phil

Maven 2 uses by default sha1 checksums, falling back to md5 if sha1 is
not present. When deploying it generates both checksum files,
containing only the hash, not the filename.

For files I deploy manually to java-repository I use md5 and sha1,
because md5sum and sha1sum are not available at people.apache.org, and
they generate
MD5 (filename) = hash
SHA1 (filename) = hash

Maven 1 doesn't check the checksums, while maven 2 recognises all the formats.

Regards

Re: format .md5 files

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@steitz.com>.
Henk P. Penning wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   regarding .md5 files in the java-repository: The format generated
>   by people.apache.org's 'md5' program is :
>
>     MD5 (HEADER.html) = 6bb98c724aad862e89acf7734408cf51
>
>   Is this format acceptable in 'dist/java-repository' ?
>
>   Recently someone had a 'inconsistent md5' problem ;
>   can he/she use minotaurs md5 prog to generate new
>   .md5 files ?
>
>   Henk Penning
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------   _
> Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
> Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
> Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
> http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M penning@cs.uu.nl  \_/

The output above is not consistent with what maven 1 produces when jars
are deployed using maven 1's jar goal, nor is it consistent with what
md5sum -b produces or expects when used to verify.

This was recently discussed on commons-dev
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=113487309500001&r=1&w=2>, where the
consensus appeared to be to use the format produced by md5sum -b for
.md5 files included in releases:

<hash> *<file_name>

 From Carlos' reply, I assume maven (2?) can "eat" the format above when

format .md5 files