Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm> on 2003/05/19 20:16:50 UTC

The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ()

Hi all,

I have tried to configure tomcat v4.1.24 to connect to a struts action
servlet using the attached web.xml. The servlet initialises correctly,
but requests ending in .do, which should go to the struts action, cause
the following tomcat error to be triggered. I have confirmed with a
debugger, the struts code is never entered at all - the error occurs
inside tomcat. The URL is http://site/patricia/blah/policy/search/search.do

type Status report

message

description The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ().

Nothing is logged in the logfiles apart from a repeat of the above
message to stdout.

Any clues?

Regards,
Graham
minfrin@sharp.fm		"There's a moon
					over Bourbon Street
						tonight..."

Re: The request sent by the client was syntactically incorrect ()

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Sorry, I was just trying to help.  I read your original post, and it struck
me as an FAQ for Struts (not Tomcat).  So I did a quick Google search.

Good luck.

John

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Bottom of the page:

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I'm going to jump out on a limb here.  A "syntactically incorrect" error
normally means a 400 response code.  I'm guessing that you are either trying
to include a PathInfo (illegal, and would usually generate a 404 error, so
unlikely),  or you have a URL-like parameter in the query-string.  If any of
these guesses are close, I can keep going.  Otherwise, simply cut the branch
;-).

----

> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE web-app PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application
> 2.3//EN" "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd">
>
> <web-app>
>
>   <!-- load the struts controller servlet -->
>    <servlet>
>      <servlet-name>action</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>za.co.fma.patricia.struts.PatriciaActionServlet</servlet-clas
s>