Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de> on 2007/02/26 17:11:08 UTC

Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Hi all,

the next version of mod_jk is approaching its release. A code snapshot
is available at

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-dev/

It is in the same format as a release download, so easy to build. Under
the same URL you can find the updated documentation.

It would be nice, if we could get some testing feedback from the
community. Feel free to post any observations. Depending on your
feedback we plan to tag the release at the end of the week.

The most important changes are:

Configuration parsing:

- Check worker attributes for unknown names during startup
- Add warning if duplicate map keys are read and are not allowed, e.g.
when parsing uriworkermap.properties.
- Don't concat worker names, if uriworkermap.properties has a duplicate
pattern, instead overwrite the worker.
- Fix uriworkermap.properties: Fix off-by-one problem when deleting URL
mapping during reloading of uriworkermap.properties.

Features

- Optional session id stripping for URLs, that are *not* being forwarded
(Apache, IIS)

Apache

- Changed semantics of empty defaults for JkEnvVar variables.
- BZ 41610: Fix incorrect detection of missing Content-Length header
leading to duplicate headers.

IIS Plugin

- Refactoring isapi_plugin configuration reading.

Sun Web Server

- Better build support for SunONE (Netscape/iPlanet) webservers.

Status Worker

- JkStatus: Allow lb sub workers in error state to be marked for
recovery administratively from the status worker.
- Add configuration to make status worker user name checks case insensitive.
- JkStatus: Show estimated time until next global maintenance.
- Change displayed time until next recovery to a min/max pair.
- JkStatus: Allow a user of a read/write status worker to switch it to
and from read_only mode temporarily.
- JkStatus: Do not show read/write commands in a read_only status worker.
- JkStatus: Improved logging by adding status worker name to messages.
Added messages to the recover worker action.
- Load Balancer: Do not try to recover multiple times in parallel. Use
additional runtime states "PROBE" and "FORCED".
- JkStatus: Improve data synchronization between different processes.
- JkStatus: Refactoring searching for workers and sub workers.

Stability

- 41381: Fix segfault in feature fail_on_status.

Miscellaneous

- Use correct windows line endings for log file on WIN32 platform.
- Add some more errno logging and unify the format.

The full change log is available under

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-dev/docs/miscellaneous/changelog.html

Thanks for your valuable time!

Regards,

Rainer

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
... and now you can find windows binaries there too (thanks Mladen) ...

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Feb 26, 2007, at 11:11 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the next version of mod_jk is approaching its release. A code
> snapshot is available at
>
> http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-dev/
>
> It is in the same format as a release download, so easy to build.
> Under the same URL you can find the updated documentation.
>
> It would be nice, if we could get some testing feedback from the
> community. Feel free to post any observations. Depending on your
> feedback we plan to tag the release at the end of the week.

So far so good... I haven't seen any problems with the snap.

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>.
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 13:56 -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> >
> > These types of bumps are minor, and I like to test myself in my own
> > envs. So can't hurt to make it available for others to test etc.
>
> +1 on testing that the packages all build in advance of any release,
> just please don't represent these as releases.  Until you see those
> 3 +1's and an announce, they are not.

Sure, I don't call them releases at all. Almost always mention what they
are in logs as well, cvs and package changelog. Nor will I request
stabilization of anything that is not an official release. No stable
alpha's, beta's, etc.

Granted this one I should have tagged _pre, or etc, so it might appear
as a full release. Most people using ~arch on Gentoo, know they are
running unstable where testing and breakage takes place. So it's not
uncommon for snapshot/cvs/svn/dev/alpha/beta/etc stuff to go in there.
Just ideally package name reflects that. Totally my bad with this
one ;)

If it's release soon enough will be moot. Otherwise I will go and rename
package, and remove other one with incorrect name.

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@gentoo.org>.
On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 13:37 -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Will, this doesn't belong on Gentoo - it's a dev/quality check, no different
> than any other snapshot.

Sure but it's sources of a future release, so I will make them available
for anyone to test. Just as I would with alpha, beta, etc. If upstream
has no use for this. Then surely I won't mind not doing bumps, etc for
dev/qa snapshots or etc. Less work ++

>   (If you ship snaps on Gentoo, be our guest.)

We don't really have a suffix for that. Some of the other stuff residing
on p.a.o, I have recently suffixed with _pre. A _dev would be nice,
other stuff get's _alpha, _beta, respectively. This one slipped by me,
should have done _pre I guess. Not sure if we have anything in
particular for snapshots.

We can even do cvs/svn ones if we really want/need to follow development
that closely. What ever upstream prefers, and of course downstream
packager me. :) Now these do not go into stable, they go into ~arch
which is experimental or testing. If really bad, they could go into
overlay. But I prefer main tree/repository. For ease of use, and
greatest exposure.

These types of bumps are minor, and I like to test myself in my own
envs. So can't hurt to make it available for others to test etc.

But if I can ignore them, or etc, just confirm that, and I will do so
from now on.

Thanks much :)

--
William L. Thomson Jr.
Gentoo/Java

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Will, this doesn't belong on Gentoo - it's a dev/quality check, no different
than any other snapshot.  (If you ship snaps on Gentoo, be our guest.)

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Kirk schrieb:
> I will take a look at it.  I did not see that this option, so I never knew
> to use it.  If I were to try and document the process I am going through to
> compile, would that be of help to put as a solaris sunone build doc?
> finding information on the web is few and far between.  Most people
> probably
> run mod_jk under apache from what I have noticed and all of the docs are
> geared towards that.  The ones I can find for sunone are geared towards
> windows.  I am sure between the emails you and I have traded in the past
> few
> weeks on my trials and tribulations, if I can get everything to work, I can
> write up some docs to contribute.

That would be very nice and useful contribution. Before you start
writing HTML, please notice, that the docs are managed in a special
format. Contributing docs is explained under

http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/miscellaneous/doccontrib.html

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
Let me know what you find. I had updated the configure.in
file to add the --enable-netscape option and updated the
BUILDING and Makefile.solaris files. I should likely
update the netscape/README file with the notes from BUILDING...

Posted by Kirk <sy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
On Feb 26, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Rainer Jung wrote:

> Hi Kirk,
>
> I never built for Sun Web Server, but I just saw the configure flag:
>
> --enable-netscape
>
> Did you ever try running configure with that one before doing the
> make?

Yes, I added that at the 1.2.21-dev phase specifically
to allow for the jk_types.h creation. It also prevents
the other compilation error as well.

Re: Quality check mod_jk 1.2.21-dev

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Kirk,

Number 2 should be a consequence of number 1. configure detects a header
file related to FIONREAD.

Concerning 1), we would need to rework configure to allow to use it in
the Sun Web Server case. Until now it forces you to provide a --with-apxs.

For your testing I uploaded two header files on the test URL
(people.apache.org...) containing the configure results I produced on
another Solaris system. I hope they will work for you.

I'm not sure, if we can fix configure for 1.2.21, because we want to
provide all the other fixes in there soon. But I'm confident, that
configure will handle your case starting with 1.2.22 in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for testing and your feedback. Let us know, if the header files
work for you.

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Kirk <sy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Due to a bug one user found (thanks) in the new JkStripSession feature
(only in the Apache httpd implementation of it), there is now a new
tarball available at the old address.

http://people.apache.org/~rjung/mod_jk-dev/

Happy testing!

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.