Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Robert DiBlasi <r_...@hotmail.com> on 2002/04/16 19:46:44 UTC

Describing the jar files in Batik toolkit

hello Batikers,

[been a while ....I know ....but I have been doing my best to promote Batik
:-) ]

I am starting to put together a Batik section to www.svgnotebook.com
http://www.svgnotebook.com/batik

I think the first thing I want to do is explain the jars in a little more
detail then is at:
http://xml.apache.org/batik/status.html

I have some very simple questions.....that someone here here might be able
to help me with:

1) do I have to add almost all the batik jar classes in the 'lib' folder to
the classpath to be able to run a program ....like the example in :
http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgcanvas.html

or is there a easy way to put the jars in another jar and just put the new
combined jar on the classpath?

1) What does batik.jar do?  How do you use it? .........It seems to me that
batik.jar is just a self contained SVG Application....it seems to do the
same thing as batik-svgbrower.jar (I'm missing something here...I just know
it :-()

2) I am going to go through the old e-mails at:
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/
and try to find explainations for the different jars.....but does someone
want to give a little more detailed discussion about what the jars
do.....they keep getting added to ....
I think It would be nice to help other that might want to work with Batik
understand how the jars are set up :-) .....the batiker will enjoy to.

just some thoughts....

We all learn by sharing what we know
Robert A. DiBlasi
http://www.svgnotebook.com

Robert A. DiBlasi

Re: Describing the jar files in Batik toolkit

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@sun.com>.
Robert,

Robert DiBlasi wrote:

> hello Batikers,
>
> [been a while ....I know ....but I have been doing my best to promote Batik
> :-) ]
>
> I am starting to put together a Batik section to www.svgnotebook.com
> http://www.svgnotebook.com/batik
>
> I think the first thing I want to do is explain the jars in a little more
> detail then is at:
> http://xml.apache.org/batik/status.html
>
> I have some very simple questions.....that someone here here might be able
> to help me with:
>
> 1) do I have to add almost all the batik jar classes in the 'lib' folder to
> the classpath to be able to run a program ....like the example in :
> http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgcanvas.html
>
> or is there a easy way to put the jars in another jar and just put the new
> combined jar on the classpath?

You could either rejar things to have a single big jar or, for
an application, you could have a single small jar that references the
jars it uses (see how the batik-svgbrowser.jar manifest) which, I
think, is usually the best solution.

> 1) What does batik.jar do?  How do you use it? .........It seems to me that
> batik.jar is just a self contained SVG Application....it seems to do the
> same thing as batik-svgbrower.jar (I'm missing something here...I just know
> it :-()

The batik.jar file was done so that people could try 'anything' in
Batik using a single jar. That is, if you want to use anything in
Batik and put batik.jar in your classpath, you'll be in business.
This is a good way to try things out without worrying about
dependancies.

However, this is not what you want to have in most applications
when it comes to bundling Batik in a product or project. It is likely
you
would only use sub-portions. The various batik-xxx.jar files are good
examples of subsets that use only the right portions of Batik for
a given purpose: SVG Generation, Rasterizing, Browser, etc...

There is one exception: batik-bean.jar which includes everything
as the IDEs we tried seem to ignore the Class-Path entry in the
manifest.

> 2) I am going to go through the old e-mails at:
> http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/
> and try to find explainations for the different jars.....but does someone
> want to give a little more detailed discussion about what the jars
> do.....they keep getting added to ....
> I think It would be nice to help other that might want to work with Batik
> understand how the jars are set up :-) .....the batiker will enjoy to.

I hope the above answered some of your issues.
Cheers,
Vincent.