Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Wouter de Vaal <wo...@hotmail.com> on 2004/04/15 13:06:46 UTC

import/export with meta-data

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to have a complete collection structure being exported
with keeping meta-data on XML documents and binaries in tact and which
I can import again afterwards. Is there functionality for this (as far as I
can see, xindice -export doesn't support this)? Does this need to be
written? If so, any suggestions how I should do this?

Regards,
Wouter de Vaal

Re: import/export with meta-data

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Wouter de Vaal wrote:

>Ok, better late than never.

:)

>I'm a newbie at Wiki's so could you please help
>me out.
>I've got to the FAQ page on the wiki and edited it and created another link
>like
> * [wiki:XindiceFAQ/XindiceMeta How do I import/export metadata?]
>
>from the helpfile I guessed that would create a new page that I could edit,
>but it just creates a link to some other page and the hover says
>"BadWikiTag".
>
>So what's wrong? The page I try to edit:
>
>http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/XindiceFAQ

With this wiki, it's easier to go the other way around: first, go to
page you want to create:
    http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/XindiceFAQ/XindiceMetaExport

And you'll see "create this page" on top of the page. Once you have the
page created, you can go to XindiceFAQ page and edit link.

I've created the page for you, you can just add content :-)

Thanks,
Vadim

Re: import/export with meta-data

Posted by Wouter de Vaal <wo...@hotmail.com>.

> >>This exports meta data for test collection:
> >>
> >>    bin\xindice export -c /db/meta/Metas/test -f output-dir
> >>

> >Thanx, I totally missed the meta collection. *doh*.
> >

> And now you owe a patch to the documentation, or wiki page :-)
>
> Vadim

Ok, better late than never. I'm a newbie at Wiki's so could you please help
me out.
I've got to the FAQ page on the wiki and edited it and created another link
like
 * [wiki:XindiceFAQ/XindiceMeta How do I import/export metadata?]

from the helpfile I guessed that would create a new page that I could edit,
but it just creates a link to some other page and the hover says
"BadWikiTag".

So what's wrong? The page I try to edit:

http://wiki.apache.org/xindice/XindiceFAQ

Wouter

Re: import/export with meta-data

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by Wouter de Vaal <wo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Wouter de Vaal wrote:

>>>I'm looking for a way to have a complete collection structure being
>>>exported with keeping meta-data on XML documents and binaries in tact
>>>and which
>>>I can import again afterwards. Is there functionality for this (as far
>>>as I can see, xindice -export doesn't support this)?
>>>

>>Do you mean "inline metadata" or "external metadata facilities"? You can
>>export external metadata using "-export" command, it is stored under
>>system collection.
>>

>Could you clarify the difference between the two?

For details on external meta data, see:

xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\client\xmldb\services\MetaService.java
    xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\core\meta\MetaData.java
And config.xml:
      -   use-metadata:
      -       When set to 'on', enables external metadata facilities
      -       for this database instance.
And also see guide-developer.xml, it describes external meta data.

For details on internal meta data, see:
    xml-xindice\java\src\org\apache\xindice\core\meta\inline

xml-xindice\java\tests\src\org\apache\xindice\integration\client\resources\BinaryResourceTest.java

Internal meta data used to store some information beside the data, such
as xml/binary flag and creation/modification dates. External meta data
is accessible programmatically and can be used in applications.

Posted by Wouter de Vaal <wo...@hotmail.com>.
> > I'm looking for a way to have a complete collection structure being
> > exported with keeping meta-data on XML documents and binaries in tact
> > and which
> > I can import again afterwards. Is there functionality for this (as far
> > as I can see, xindice -export doesn't support this)?
>

> Do you mean "inline metadata" or "external metadata facilities"? You can
> export external metadata using "-export" command, it is stored under
> system collection.

Could you clarify the difference between the two?

> > Does this need to be written? If so, any suggestions how I should do
this?

> For external metadata, I guess the only thing needed is improvement in
> documentation on import/export. For inline metadata, it should be
> possible to modify export command to store it in separate file beside
> resource files. Send patches to the dev list for discussion and applying
> to CVS.

I can find the export command, but I can't see how it supports metadata,
could
you give me some pointers where to look? I've looked in CVS at

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.