Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <pe...@zeus.net.au> on 2015/08/30 12:31:01 UTC

IPv6 Multicast Address Registration completed

Our existing IPv4 Multicast Addresses:

224.0.1.84 jini-announcement
224.0.1.85 jini-request

Our newly assigned IPv6 multicast addresses:

> Dear Peter,
>
> IANA has listed you as the point of contact for the following variable scope addresses:
>
> FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:155	jini-announcement
> FF0X:0:0:0:0:0:0:156	jini-request
>
> Should we also add a link to the Jini Discovery&  Join Specification to the Reference column?
>
> Please see
> http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses
>
> In your assigned variable-scope addresses -- which can also be listed as "FF0X::155" and "FF0X::156" for short -- the "X" denotes any possible scope. Assignment in the variable scope range means that you can use your address with any scope you like, while avoiding conflicts with other assignments/uses.
>
> This means if your use is strictly link-local, you can use FF02::155 (and/or 156). But also if, for instance, in the future, you want to do discovery within a site, you are also free to use FF05::155. If you like, you can think of this as being assigned multiple addresses, one for each scope value.

We need to add these multicast addresses to our discovery and join
specification and look at updating River for IPv6.

Regards,

Peter.

Re: IPv6 Multicast Address Registration completed

Posted by Zsolt Kúti <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks!

Posted by Bryan Thompson <br...@systap.com>.
Excellent.