Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Sébastien Brodeur <br...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/02 20:53:32 UTC

Sun JSTL Standard versus Jakarta JSTL Standard

What is the difference between the Sun version of standard JSTL
and the Jakarta one?

Re: [moved] Sun JSTL Standard versus Jakarta JSTL Standard

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> [moved to dev list from user list]
>
> On 5/2/06, Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is exactly what you're after, but you have to keep in
>> mind
>> that JSTL is a specification. In order to actually make use of it, you
>> need
>> an implementation. That's where the Standard taglib comes in - it's an
>> implementation of the JSTL spec. Standard 1.0 implements JSTL 1.0 and
>> Standard 1.1 implements JSTL 1.1.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> Or maybe Sébastien is refering to the Glassfish one?
>
> In any case, thoughts from anyone whether we (Jakarta Taglibs) should
> be recommending the Glassfish equivalent hereafter?

That depends on whether someone needs a Java EE 5 app server and JSTL 1.2.
Personally, I'm still releasing production apps that need to run on Tomcat
4.1 and WLS 8.1 with a 1.4.2 JDK. I guess I hadn't realized that JSTL is
actually part of the Java EE 5 spec:

"All Java EE products are required to provide JSTL for use by all JSP pages."

I haven't really been following Glassfish all that much, but I downloaded
the 9.0-b42 installer (Milestone 6) and, after installing, ran:

java -cp glassfish\lib\appserv-jstl.jar org.apache.taglibs.standard.Version

Which produced:

standard-taglib 1.1.2

So, I guess I'm not really sure what the state of JSTL 1.2 development is
at this point.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sun JSTL Standard versus Jakarta JSTL Standard

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.