Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Cheng-Lin Yang <s0...@mail.csie.mcu.edu.tw> on 2005/05/10 01:14:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Can't delete apache2's logfile under windows 2003

Hi all,
Three days, I helped my friend to setup a server with apache2(IIS Sucks!) on
Windows Server 2003. Everything runs fine. In httpd.conf I reset the
configure of CustomLog to:
CustomLog "|c:/apache/apache2/bin/cronolog.exe e:/logs/access%Y%m%d.log"
combined
Which can help him to manager his log by day. It works! But when he tried to
compress the old logfile. He got error message which said that "that file is
using by another program." But he can delete the file. Can someone here help
on this problem? Thank you in advanced!

---
Under FreeBSD I can compress the file freely.

--
Cheng-Lin Yang, Sun Certified Java Programmer <s0...@csie.mcu.edu.tw>

Re: [users@httpd] Can't delete apache2's logfile under windows 2003

Posted by Craig Dunigan <cd...@doit.wisc.edu>.
On Tue, 10 May 2005, Cheng-Lin Yang wrote:

> Hi all,
> Three days, I helped my friend to setup a server with apache2(IIS Sucks!) on
> Windows Server 2003. Everything runs fine. In httpd.conf I reset the
> configure of CustomLog to:
> CustomLog "|c:/apache/apache2/bin/cronolog.exe e:/logs/access%Y%m%d.log"
> combined
> Which can help him to manager his log by day. It works! But when he tried to
> compress the old logfile. He got error message which said that "that file is
> using by another program." But he can delete the file. Can someone here help
> on this problem? Thank you in advanced!
>
> ---
> Under FreeBSD I can compress the file freely.
>
> --
> Cheng-Lin Yang, Sun Certified Java Programmer <s0...@csie.mcu.edu.tw>

Tell him to do a graceful restart on Apache before attempting to compress the
file.  It's only a workaround, but it'll probably get what you want.

--
Craig Dunigan