Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de> on 2016/12/02 19:56:16 UTC

EditorConfig?

Hi,

has anyone played around with EditorConfig[0]? It is a way for us to
share the editor configuration (tabs, spaces, encodings, ...) across
editors and IDEs used. I can see this being useful, as we are
cross-language.

WDYT?

Markus

[0]: http://editorconfig.org/

Re: EditorConfig?

Posted by Douglas Service <ds...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a very good idea. In order to attract as many users as
possible and get them working with REEF successfully in a very short period
of time, good support for multiple IDE's will be important. We should also
consider including configurations that make it easy to run all of the REEF
demos from within the various IDEs. An ideal scenario for new REEF end
users would be to

   - Clone the REEF github repository
   - Load REEF into their IDE
   - Select build
   - Select run demo

Like most of us, other programmers do not have a lot of time to explore new
environments so making new users successful quickly with REEF is very
important for building the user base. User's who cannot get up and running
quickly tend to go on to the next possible choice.

BTW: Jet Brains Rider now has a public preview:
https://www.jetbrains.com/rider/. It supports .NET 1.0 and runs on both
Windows and Linux. I was able to build the current version of the REEF VS
projects with it and run all of the unit tests. It appears to be a very
strong contender for the best C# cross platform IDE.

Doug