Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/06 01:16:12 UTC

PSA: Maven supports parallel builds

Y’all may already know this, but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere in
our docs on here and it’s a pretty easy win.

Maven supports parallel builds
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Parallel+builds+in+Maven+3>
with the -T command line option.

For example:

./build/mvn -T 1C -Dhadoop.version=1.2.1 -DskipTests clean package

This will have Maven use 1 thread per core on your machine to build Spark.

On my little MacBook air, this cuts the build time from 14 minutes to 10.5
minutes. A machine with more cores should see a bigger improvement.

Note though that the docs mark this as experimental, so I wouldn’t change
our reference build to use this. But it should be useful, for example, in
Jenkins or when working locally.

Nick
​

Re: PSA: Maven supports parallel builds

Posted by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>.
I've done this in the past, but back when I wasn't using Zinc it
didn't make a big difference. It's worth doing this in our jenkins
environment though.

- Patrick

Posted by Dirceu Semighini Filho <di...@gmail.com>.