Posted to community@apache.org by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/02 11:18:56 UTC

Presentations

Hello all,

I don't know if this topic has been discussed before or if I missed if
its aready there. But before a few weeks I had to explain to my
customer "what actually open source is". I have started to create some
slides myself, after I found nothing on the a.org sites. Then I was
aware of:

* http://opensource.org/osi-open-source-education#presentations_developed_by_osi

which is pretty good for explaining open source.
However, my customer was doing stuff mostly in Java and so ASF
projects were used. He was esspecially interested in the ASF licensing
model, in "what people are working there" and in "what actually is the
ASF". I have done some slides, but I think this could be done better
if we would develop some official resources together.

Of course some might say, that people who are not connected to the ASF
could use this official ASF slides. But they will talk about the same
things, just without ASF slides. And hopefully good slides help also
to clean up with some misunderstandings. Additionally we can make sure
that things, which are important to the ASF, like meritocracy are
pointed out in a good way and not only with one sentence between
coffee and cookie.

That being said, I would love to have the chance to take some official
slides when I get to my customer next time. Is there anybody who feels
the same?

Best regards,
Christian

Re: Presentations

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
I've updated my site with my latest variants from OSBC and TransferSummit/UK:

http://www.erenkrantz.com/apachecon/

The Keynote source for the last version is at:

http://www.erenkrantz.com/apachecon/TransferSummit%20-%20Open%20Innovation.key.gz

Feel free to riff on 'em...if you do use them substantially, I'd
appreciate a thank you.

Aaron Farr just gave an "Apache Way" talk in Shanghai this weekend.
I'm sure if you ask him nicely, he'll post his slides somewhere too.
But, they might have some funny characters in it as some slides are in
Chinese.  =P

Enjoy!  -- justin

Re: Presentations

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Presentations

Posted by Anjana G Bhattacharjee <a....@gmail.com>.
Good idea Joe - happy to contribute to a slide on the intersection between
womAn@ and CREST whenever Justin's ready ;-) Best, A

Re: Presentations

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Presentations

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Presentations

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/2010 16:00, Isabel Drost wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 Bertrand Delacretaz<bd...@apache.org>  wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tim Williams<wi...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> ... I'm
>>> willing to help pull something together if nothing exists already...
>>
>> Once you have something, I suggest storing/maintaining it under
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/
>
> +1 - if easily accessible for any ASF committer (as you suggested
> below).

Absolutely. Lets make this happen. Once we have the slides in SVN we can
create a page on the website for them.

I'd also like to see people linking to them from their "people near you"
entries so that people can search for a potential speaker and view their
common presentations.

However, lets start by collecting the info.

I've got a few presentations I'd be happy to provide.

Ross

Re: Presentations

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ... I'm
> > willing to help pull something together if nothing exists already...
>
> Once you have something, I suggest storing/maintaining it under
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/

+1 - if easily accessible for any ASF committer (as you suggested
below).

I was invited to give a presentation on "What is Apache? What is
Mahout? What is so cool about free software development for students?
How do I contribute? (in that order)" at HPI in Potsdam. Slides are
available online (warning - the explanation of the ASF itself borrows
heavily from Lars' talk at Apache Con EU):

http://isabel-drost.de/hadoop/slides/christoph.pdf

I could provide a (possibly stripped down) version of the sources if
of interest for you.

In addition I have been invited* for a talk on the "what is the ASF
all about" at the local meetup of the FSFE DUS (Free Software Foundation
Europe Düsseldorf fellowship group) that is going to be announced as
a combined invitation for dinner on Sunday evening after Froscon to FSFE
and Apache people in Düsseldorf**.

I would like to share the slides for that talk before the event with
this list for review and comments, if that is ok with you. The resulting
slide deck would of course be available for inclusion in the above
repository (most likely under some CC license, depending on the images
I'll include).

> We could open a subfolder of that to all ASF committers to make it
> easy to share such things (requires a comdev vote of course).

+1

Isabel

* Some time these days I should learn to think twice before inviting
  people for coffee: tends to result in me preparing slides - sooner or
  later *sigh* ;)

** If you are in are in or close to Düsseldorf that evening - feel free
   to join us - exact location is going to be announced real soon.

Re: Presentations

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... I'm
> willing to help pull something together if nothing exists already...

Once you have something, I suggest storing/maintaining it under
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/comdev/

We could open a subfolder of that to all ASF committers to make it
easy to share such things (requires a comdev vote of course).

-Bertrand

Re: Presentations

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 5:20 AM, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I don't know if this topic has been discussed before or if I missed if
> its aready there. But before a few weeks I had to explain to my
> customer "what actually open source is". I have started to create some
> slides myself, after I found nothing on the a.org sites. Then I was
> aware of:
>
> * http://opensource.org/osi-open-source-education#presentations_developed_by_osi
>
> which is pretty good for explaining open source.
> However, my customer was doing stuff mostly in Java and so ASF
> projects were used. He was esspecially interested in the ASF licensing
> model, in "what people are working there" and in "what actually is the
> ASF". I have done some slides, but I think this could be done better
> if we would develop some official resources together.
>
> Of course some might say, that people who are not connected to the ASF
> could use this official ASF slides. But they will talk about the same
> things, just without ASF slides. And hopefully good slides help also
> to clean up with some misunderstandings. Additionally we can make sure
> that things, which are important to the ASF, like meritocracy are
> pointed out in a good way and not only with one sentence between
> coffee and cookie.
>
> That being said, I would love to have the chance to take some official
> slides when I get to my customer next time. Is there anybody who feels
> the same?

Definitely.  I was just poking around this weekend seeing if a
standard slide deck were out there but found nothing but extremely
dated material.  I think a good one would cover lots of ground and be
easily tailorable - preferably in an open format (e.g. HTML:).  I'm

Presentations

Re: Presentations

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > However, yes, I would love to see a
>> > repository of slides that are free for re-use, possibly available
>> > under e.g. CC-by-SA.
>>
>> Minor nit: I think CC-By would be more "Apache" :-) AFAIR, CC-By-SA
>> isn't wholly compatible with our license?
>
> True. Potentially limits the number of images one can include to
> illustrate the presentation quite a bit though - at least judging from
> my admittedly limited experience with searching for usable high-res
> pictures on flickr.

All the more reason to go with CC-By - even if we need to
create/source new images, they'll then be openly available for other
people, and isn't Apache in the business of "open"? :-)

Noirin

Re: Presentations

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Re: Presentations

Posted by Noirin Shirley <no...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org> wrote:

> However, yes, I would love to see a
> repository of slides that are free for re-use, possibly available under
> e.g. CC-by-SA.

Minor nit: I think CC-By would be more "Apache" :-) AFAIR, CC-By-SA
isn't wholly compatible with our license?

> Two examples of very inspiring talks maybe interesting for your use case
> that spring to my mind are "Apache behind the scenes" and "The Apache
> Way".

Aaron has several versions of the Apache Way talk on Slideshare -
they're (C), but he might be willing to negotiate an alternative ;-)

Noirin

Re: Presentations

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@apache.org>.
  On 8/2/10 4:43 PM, Isabel Drost wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010  Christian Grobmeier<gr...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> That being said, I would love to have the chance to take some official
>> slides when I get to my customer next time. Is there anybody who feels
>> the same?
> Sounds familiar. However, as any slide deck should be specially targeted
> to the audience addressed, I am not sure official - as in officially
> approved - slides solve the problem. However, yes, I would love to see a
> repository of slides that are free for re-use, possibly available under
> e.g. CC-by-SA.
>
> Two examples of very inspiring talks maybe interesting for your use case
> that spring to my mind are "Apache behind the scenes" and "The Apache
> Way".
>
> Isabel
There are also a few of interesting slides at
http://www.slideshare.net/bdelacretaz/presentations, and more
specifically this one :
http://www.slideshare.net/bdelacretaz/working-in-and-with-the-apache-software-foundation.

It's not only about The ASF, but something you can show a customer to
show him that using The ASF can be a good (tm) thing for a company.

My 2cts that I borrowed to Bertrand ;)

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com