Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Jing Zhou <ji...@netspread.com> on 2003/06/19 20:49:09 UTC

[Carrier-Tips-On-Struts] Phase Two Validations

All,

We continue to introduce the phased validation model.
In the last tip, we have shown that the configuration
effort in phase one validations is reduced to a checkbox
on each of property descriptors.

The phase two validations in Carrier is controlled by
the Struts framework with extended capabilities:
http://www.netspread.com/tips.html#phasetwo

In the screen shots in the link, we show you
how easy to validate date fields, social security numbers,
amount of money, and telephone numbers. It also
has information on how to call the Struts validation
component.

As a researcher and algorithm engineer, I spent quite much
of time to study the ASP.NET validation component. It is
a respected platform. Comparing Struts with ASP.NET
is not fair to each product. But when you combine Struts
and Carrier as one product, you can find the phased
validation model is much simpler than ASP.NET
component based validation model.

There must be some objective criteria when comparing
two products. The criteria we used is called TCO -
Total Concerns of Operation. Obviously, the Struts
validation component has a high TCO, but Carrier helps
it to reduce to the minimum, way less than ASP.NET
now.

If someone can point out I can further remove a
configuration term, a class attribute, or whatever in the
phased validation model, he/she is welcome.

Regards,

Jing

creator of Carrier

The first Struts tool with heart and soul:
"Making Simple Thing Crazily Simple."

The first Internet IDE:
"Internet applications should be designed on Internet,
assembled on Internet, and used on Internet."

Download Carrier now. It includes the Struts RC2 libraries.
http://www.netspread.com/downloads/instructions.html