Posted to user@hive.apache.org by John Omernik <jo...@omernik.com> on 2014/09/06 17:18:18 UTC

Parquet Binary Column Support

Greetings all -

We really want to look into the Parquet file format more, however, without
supporting all the Hive Column types, we are hesitant to dive in more.

Currently, it looks like it's just the BINARY column type (which I use)
based on the JIRA below, there hasn't been any movement in on that in a few
months, I guess I am curious on the thoughts of the group on what issues is
keeping Parquet from supporting BINARY, and when sort of timeline we may
have for PARQUET to fully support all Hive column types.

Thanks!

John

Hive Index and ORC

Posted by Alain Petrus <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

I am wondering whether is it possible to use Hive index and ORC format?  Does it make sense?
Also, is Hive indexing a mature functionality?  What are your experiences using Hive indexing?

Thanks,
Alain

Re: Parquet Binary Column Support

Posted by Xuefu Zhang <xz...@cloudera.com>.
I don't think there is any issue keeping it away. The only issue is
resource. We welcome effort from the community to move it forward. I'm
willing to coach/review it.

--Xuefu